The 24-year-old France international has been linked with a potential move to the Premier League club due to protracted contract negotiations with FC Barcelona.
Umtiti is thought to be seeking a wage increase but the La Liga giants have so far been reluctant to meet the centre-half’s demands.
Manchester United are rumoured to be monitoring the situation as Jose Mourinho looks to strengthen at the centre of defence.
Phil Jones and Chris Smalling have struggled to find consistency this season, while summer signing Victor Lindelof has made a hesitant start to his Old Trafford career.
The France star confirmed in an interview with French media outlet Canal plus that Manchester United are interested in his services earlier this week.
However, FC Barcelona manager Valverde has played down the significance of Umtiti’s remarks ahead of their Champions League clash against AS Roma.
“I don’t know what Umtiti’s said, I have not followed his comments,” Valverde told his media conference at Camp Nou on Tuesday.
“My understanding is Umtiti is happy here and we are happy with him.
“I hope he will continue for many years because he is very important both on and off the field.
“We hope the negotiations will come to fruition and that he will be able to continue for many years here.”
Umtiti moved to FC Barcelona in a £20m deal from French club Lyon in the 2016 summer transfer window.
Manchester United have spent £60m on centre-halves in the last two summer transfer windows under Mourinho.
The Red Devils lost 2-1 to La Liga side Sevilla in the Champions League round of 16 last month.
MORE: Man United latest news
MORE: Arsenal latest news
MORE: Chelsea latest news
MORE: Liverpool latest news