Gary Neville delivers verdict on Man United signings
The former Man United defender says Manchester United’s current squad is ‘not good enough’
Gary Neville believes that Manchester United’s current squad is ‘not good
enough’ despite major investment.
Red Devils boss Jose Mourinho took the helm at Old Trafford back in 2016, replacing the outgoing Louis Van Gaal.
Since then the squad has seen a major overhaul after a total net spend of £307.25m – as per Sky Sports – as United have tried to address the slide in fortunes since Sir Alex Ferguson’s departure in 2013.
The likes of Victor Lindelof, Eric Bailly and Matteo Darmian have all been brought in to sure up the team defensively over the last three years, along with Nemanja Matic and Fred in holding midfield positions.
However, despite the large investment in the squad, on the pitch things haven’t quite clicked, as underlined by Sunday’s shock 3-2 defeat to Brighton at The Amex stadium.
United were poor at the back, with Lindelof and Bailly in particular at fault for Brighton’s goals and unable to communicate effectively with each other for large periods of the game.
Former Red Devils defender Neville discussed the investment at Manchester United over the past few seasons.
Neville told Sky Sports: “I’m not making excuses for them. There has been £120m of investment in that back four.
“You’ve probably got the best goalkeeper in the world, so from a back-five point of view, you could argue there has been serious investment. However, they are not good enough. Collectively they are not good enough and individually they are not good enough.”
Mourinho’s men are now already three points adrift of Manchester City, Chelsea and Tottenham in the league table and they are set to face the latter next week at Old Trafford.
A much-improved performance will be needed if they are going to overpower Mauricio Pochettino’s free-flowing Spurs side, who beat Fulham 3-1 on Saturday.