Maurizio Sarri delivers latest update on Eden Hazard at Chelsea FC
Maurizio Sarri claims that it is unlikely that Eden Hazard will leave Chelsea FC this month
Maurizio Sarri has claimed that it is “impossible” that Chelsea FC will sell Eden Hazard or any other players this month.
The Belgian’s future at Stamford Bridge has been a relentless source of speculation this summer, with Real Madrid strongly touted as a destination for the 27-year-old playmaker.
Hazard’s current contract is set to expire in 2020 and so Chelsea FC could risk losing the attacker for a cut-price fee next year.
Real Madrid have long been linked with a move for Hazard and the Spanish side completed a deal to sign his team-mate Thibaut Courtois from Chelsea FC last week.
European clubs have until the end of the month to complete their transfer business, but Premier League sides cannot sign any new players after the window closed before the season started last week.
Sarri was quizzed about the future of Hazard at his pre-match news conference at Cobham on Friday, but the Italian seemed to be confident that the attacker will be staying at the club.
Asked if he was worried about more players leaving Stamford Bridge this month, Sarri said: “It is impossible. The market is closed for us.”
Sarri was then asked whether Hazard may sign a new contract at Chelsea FC, and he replied: “I don’t want to discuss contracts.
“It is not my job. My job is to improve players, not sign contracts. I have seen a player [Hazard] who is happy to be here.
“Hazard is with us. I have spoken with him three, four times for everything and he never said something about the market. He’s very happy to stay here.”