Rio Ferdinand tells Man United star there’s no way back for him

Rio Ferdinand has a warning for Eric Bailly after he was subbed in Man United's 3-2 win over Newcastle

The Sport Review staff
By The Sport Review staff
Rio Ferdinand
Manchester United legend Rio Ferdinand Photo: BT Sport

Rio Ferdinand has told Eric Bailly that there is likely to be “no way back” for him in the Manchester United team after the defender was taken off in the first half of the 3-2 win over Newcastle United on Saturday.

The 24-year-old defender lasted only 19 minutes at Old Trafford before he was replaced by Jose Mourinho, with Manchester United having fallen 2-0 down early on.

The Ivorian has struggled to hold down a regular spot in the first team this season and he has only started three Premier League games for the Red Devils so far.

Manchester United managed to fight back in the second half and goals from Juan Mata, Anthony Martial and substitute Alexis Sanchez helped the Red Devils to claim a thrilling 3-2 win in front of their home fans.

However, speaking at half time during BT Sport‘s coverage of Saturday’s game, Ferdinand underlined his belief that the future for Bailly is now looking bleak at Old Trafford.

“I don’t see a way back for Bailly,” Ferdinand said.

“He was dragged off and the manager stayed in the last game that he didn’t have defenders who can take the ball out from the back. He’s been made he fall-guy here.”

Manchester United will now reflect on their stuttering start to the new Premier League season during the international break, before they return to action with a crunch clash against Chelsea FC at Stamford Bridge on 20 October.

Had the Red Devils have lost Saturday’s game, there would surely have been some serious questions about Mourinho’s future at the club following their poor start to the new campaign.

A victory against Chelsea FC later this month would serve to help lift spirits at Old Trafford considerably as they look to somehow claw their way back into the Premier League title race this season.

As well as finding themselves well off the pace in the race for the title as things stand, the Red Devils were also knocked out of the League Cup by lower league side Derby County last month.

MORE: Latest Manchester United news and views

MORE: Football transfer rumours and gossip

MORE:

MORE: The latest football transfer news

MORE: Meet the Premier League's most stylish footballers

MORE: Do you know the top Muslim footballers in the Premier League?

MORE: Take a tour of Arsenal star Mesut Ozil’s £10m London house

MORE: Man United latest news

MORE: Arsenal latest news

MORE: Chelsea latest news

MORE: Liverpool latest news

The Sport Review
ATP Awards: Federer, Nadal and Djokovic headline nominees again, but fresh names emerge
The Sport Review
Take a tour of Cristiano Ronaldo’s stunning house in Madrid
The Sport Review
Top 50 Muslim footballers: Arsenal, Chelsea FC, Liverpool FC and Man United stars feature
The Sport Review
Take a tour of Arsenal star Mesut Ozil’s £10m London house with us
The Sport Review
Top 50 most stylish footballers in the world in 2017: Chelsea, Arsenal stars feature – Slideshow
The Sport Review
Basel 2018: Roger Federer is home again – naturally
The Sport Review
Jack Wilshere sends advice to Arsenal about Aaron Ramsey
The Sport Review
Unai Emery raves about Mesut Ozil after Arsenal’s 3-1 win over Leicester