The Guardian is claiming that the Red Devils are prepared to back Jose Mourinho and make significant funds available in the mid-season window if the right deals become available.
The same report says that Mourinho wants to sign a central defender and a goal-scoring forward after failing to land players in those key positions in the summer transfer window.
It is claimed in the same article that Manchester United could have as much as £100m to spend on new signings in the new year, as they look to bounce back from what has been a disappointing start to the new campaign.
Manchester United currently find themselves in eighth place in the Premier League table and nine points off leaders Manchester City after 10 games of the new campaign.
They have conceded 17 times in their 10 Premier League games so far, with only Burnley, Huddersfield, Cardiff and Fulham having let in more goals this season.
The same story says that Mourinho was keen on signing the likes of Raphael Varane, Harry Maguire and Jerome Boateng in the summer transfer window, but the Manchester United board opted not to pursue them.
However, it is now suggested in the same article that Manchester United are ready to issue their backing to Mourinho in the January transfer window – if the right players are available.
Manchester United will be looking to make it back to back wins in the Premier League for just the second time this season when they travel to Bournemouth on Saturday lunchtime.
The Red Devils were hoping to launch a serious Premier League title challenge this season, but their stuttering start to the campaign has forced them to reassess their targets as they focus on moving up the table.
MORE: Man United latest news
MORE: Arsenal latest news
MORE: Chelsea latest news
MORE: Liverpool latest news