Andreas Christensen gives latest update on his Chelsea FC future
Andreas Christensen plays down speculation linking him with a transfer away from Chelsea FC
Andreas Christensen has insisted that he wants to remain at Chelsea FC beyond the summer despite his lack of playing time this season.
The Blues defender has struggled to hold down a regular playing spot in the first team at Stamford Bridge since Maurizio Sarri’s appointment as the club’s new manager last summer.
The 23-year-old has found his Premier League opportunities to be severely restricted this season, and he has only featured four times in the top flight so far this season.
However, he has been a regular fixture in the Europa League for Sarri’s men so far this season.
His lack of playing time this season could inevitably prompt speculation that he may leave Stamford Bridge in search of regular playing time in the summer.
However, the player himself has now indicated that he is prepared to stay at Stamford Bridge and fight for a first-team spot.
Speaking in an interview quoted by Sky Sports, Christensen said: “I have not had a conversation with the club and they have not told me I am staying.
“I said I would like to stay. There has been no conversation but I can say what I want to happen and that is definitely staying.
“I still have a long contract and I am still proud to be a Chelsea player. It has been six years, almost seven and for me it has not changed.
“I see myself as a Chelsea player and hopefully I will keep being that.”
The defender will be hoping to be involved when Chelsea FC return to Premier League action on Sunday with a tricky trip to Anfield to take on Liverpool FC.
The Blues are currently in fourth place in the table as they chase Champions League qualification.