Jurgen Klopp gives latest Liverpool FC injury update on Naby Keita
Liverpool FC boss Jurgen Klopp provides an injury update on Naby Keita
Jurgen Klopp says Naby Keita is targeting a return to the Liverpool FC team for their clash against MK Dons in the League Cup on Wednesday night.
Keita hasn’t been available for selection since before Liverpool FC’s penalty shootout victory over Chelsea FC in the Uefa Super Cup last month.
The Guinea international has been sidelined with a hip injury that he suffered ahead of the Istanbul clash in August.
Keita returned to first-team training ahead of Liverpool FC’s trip to Chelsea FC in the Premier League at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.
However, the top-flight clash in west London came too soon for Keita, who struggled to hold down a regular starting spot in his first season at Liverpool FC.
Speaking to Liverpool FC’s website about Keita’s fitness and his return to first-team action, Klopp said:
“He is close but the matchday squad is not yet the target. It is a few sessions training with the team.
“We’d only put him in [at Chelsea] if we didn’t have enough players but I hope we will have enough players for the matchday squad. Wednesday is the target I will say and then we will see.”
Keita moved to Liverpool FC in a £48m deal from German side RB Leipzig in 2018.
The Guinea international scored two goals and made one assist in 25 games in the Premier League last term.
The Reds won the Champions League last season thanks to a 2-0 victory over Tottenham Hotspur in the Madrid final in June.
Keita didn’t feature in the Spanish capital due to an injury problem that kept him sidelined for the Champions League showpiece.