Arsenal boss Wenger looking forward to a transfer saga-free summer
Arsene Wenger admits he is looking forward to a summer without a transfer saga surrounding one of his key Arsenal players
Arsene Wenger admits he is looking forward to a summer without a high-profile transfer saga surrounding one of his key Arsenal players.
Gunners fans have seen some of their star players leave the club in recent years following long-drawn-out sagas that often rumbled on for months.
Robin van Persie became the latest talismanic figure to depart The Emirates when he left for Manchester United last summer following lengthy speculation about his future.
Cesc Fàbregas and Samir Nasri both left the club the year before in similar circumstances – and Wenger says it will be a relief to not have to deal with another big-name departure this summer.
“It is a very important thing because, last year and the year before the summers were very difficult because of the Fàbregas case, and last year the Van Persie case. And the Nasri case the year before,” said Wenger.
“We started pre-season, on camps, every time with a player being half in or half out, and that’s not the best way mentally to prepare for the season.”
Arsenal travel to Newcastle United on Sunday in their final game of the season knowing a victory will secure their place in next term’s Champions League.