Arsenal transfers: Arsene Wenger delivers update on key duo
Arsene Wenger reveals that Arsenal are yet to open talks with Mesut Ozil or Alexis Sanchez over new contracts
Arsene Wenger has insisted that Arsenal are in no rush to offer new contracts to Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez.
Reports in the British media in recent weeks have claimed that the Gunners are keen to tie both players down to new deal.
Sanchez has been in sparkling form for Arsenal since his transfer to the north London club from Barcelona in the summer of 2014, while Ozil has enjoyed a promising start to the new campaign, notching up 10 assists in the Premier League so far this season.
Reports this week have suggested that Arsenal are willing to offer Sanchez a new five-year contract worth £155,000 a week to move him above Ozil as the highest earner at the club.
However, Wenger insists that Arsenal are yet to open formal negotiations with either player and says the club are in no hurry to tie the duo down to new deals.
Speaking at a news conference on Thursday morning, Wenger said: “We have not started to talk about that [a new contract] with Mesut.
“We are in the same situation [with Sanchez]. At the end of the year they have two-and-a-half years left on their contract so we still have some time. We are not in a hurry.
“Of course we want them to stay here at the club and we will start the negotiations at some stage. At the moment we have not started them.
“From the New Year to the summer we will certainly start it with all the players who have two years to go at the end of the season.”
Arsenal take on West Bromwich Albion in the Premier League on Saturday afternoon.