David Warner sorry for ‘unprovoked attack’ on England player
The ECB says Australia's David Warner has apologised for an "unprovoked attack" on an England player, believed to be Joe Root
The ECB say Australia batsman David Warner has apologised for an “unprovoked physical attack” on an England player, believed to be Joe Root.
Warner was dropped by Australia for their Champions Trophy match against New Zealand on Wednesday pending the outcome of an investigation into the incident, which occurred at a bar following a 48-run loss to England on Saturday.
The ECB said: “Following a statement issued this morning by Cricket Australia, the England and Wales Cricket Board confirms that David Warner initiated an unprovoked physical attack on a member of the England team in a Birmingham bar following England’s 48 run victory over Australia.
“Warner has admitted behaving inappropriately and has since apologised to the player involved who has accepted the apology.
“Following a full investigation the England team management has concluded that the England player was in no way responsible for nor retaliated to the attack.
“ECB has concluded that this is a matter for Cricket Australia and have no further comment to make.”
Earlier on Wednesday, Australia confirmed Warner would not play a part in the match against the Black Caps as they hold an investigation into the incident, which took place in the early hours of Sunday morning in Birmingham.
A statement from Cricket Australia read: “Warner… was allegedly involved in [an incident] with an England player in the early hours of Sunday morning following the ICC Champions Trophy match between the teams in Birmingham.
“Team management have stood down Warner pending the outcome of the hearing, meaning he will miss Australia’s match against New Zealand in Birmingham tonight [on Wednesday].”