Canadian Grand Prix 2014: Rosberg hails ‘fantastic day’ after taking pole
Canadian Grand Prix 2014: Nico Rosberg expresses his delight after beating Lewis Hamilton to pole position
Nico Rosberg could not hide his delight after beating his Mercedes team-mate Lewis Hamilton to pole position for Sunday’s Canadian Grand Prix.
The German was faster by just 0.079 seconds, with Red Bull’s Sebastian Vettel taking third ahead of Williams duo Valtteri Bottas and Felipe Massa.
“I know it’s a track where Lewis is really strong,” said Rosberg. “I’m very happy it worked out.
Nico did a fantastic job so congratulations to him
“It has been a fantastic day and through the weekend we have been progressing all the time and I’m in the best position for tomorrow.
“I’m just working at it all the time, looking at the data, working with engineers and trying to understand areas where I can do better. It’s just a process and I’m glad it’s worked out.”
Hamilton, who trails Rosberg by four points in the drivers’ standings heading into this weekend’s race, praised his team-mate for his performance in Montreal.
“Nico did a fantastic job so congratulations to him,” said Hamilton. “It was not a particularly [bad lap], it just wasn’t the greatest qualifying – sometimes you have a good qualifying, sometimes you have bad qualifying.
“But it’s a great to get a one-two for the team and a fantastic performance. Let’s hope we can make history tomorrow.”
Defending world champion Vettel added: “There are four or five cars within about five or six hundredths of each other – the Williams are really quick here.
“It’s a long race so the strategy could be a bit of a surprise. Williams have a very quick car down the straight.”
Canadian Grand Prix 2014: Qualifying times
1. Nico Rosberg Germany Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 14.874s
2. Lewis Hamilton Britain Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 14.953s
3. Sebastian Vettel Germany Red Bull-Renault 1m 15.548s
4. Valtteri Bottas Finland Williams-Mercedes 1m 15.550s
5. Felipe Massa Brazil Williams-Mercedes 1m 15.578s
6. Daniel Ricciardo Australia Red Bull-Renault 1m 15.589s
7. Fernando Alonso Spain Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 15.814s
8. Jean-Eric Vergne France Toro Rosso-Renault 1m 16.162s
9. Jenson Button Britain McLaren-Mercedes 1m 16.182s
10. Kimi Raikkonen Finland Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 16.214s
11. Nico Hulkenberg Germany Force India-Mercedes 1m 16.300s
12. Kevin Magnussen Denmark McLaren-Mercedes 1m 16.310s
13. Sergio Perez Mexico Force India-Mercedes 1m 16.472s
14. Romain Grosjean France Lotus-Renault 1m 16.687s
15. Daniil Kvyat Russia Toro Rosso-Renault 1m 16.713s
16. Adrian Sutil Germany Sauber-Ferrari 1m 17.314s
17. Pastor Maldonado Venezuela Lotus-Renault 1m 18.328s
18. Max Chilton Briton Marussia-Ferrari 1m 18.348s
19. Jules Bianchi France Marussia-Ferrari 1m 18.359s
20. Kamui Kobayashi Japan Caterham-Renault 1m 19.278s
21. Marcus Ericsson Sweden Caterham-Renault 1m 19.820s
DNP Esteban Gutierrez Mexico Sauber-Ferrari