Antonio Conte confirms 25-year-old will start for Chelsea against Atletico Madrid
Antonio Conte confirms that Thibaut Courtois is ready to start for Chelsea against Atletico Madrid on Wednesday night
Antonio Conte has confirmed that Thibaut Courtois is in line to start for Chelsea in Wednesday’s crunch Champions League clash against Atletico Madrid.
There were concerns about the Chelsea goalkeeper’s fitness levels after he suffered a knock in a collision with Gary Cahill and Peter Crouch during the 4-0 win over Stoke on Saturday.
The Belgian looked to be in discomfort for some time but Conte has now confirmed that the goalkeeper looks as if he will be ready to start for the Blues in their crunch Champions League clash against Atletico on Wednesday night.
Conte told Match of the Day: “I spoke with our doctor about Thibaut, above all about whether I could make a different substitution and he said Thibaut was OK and you can make another substitution.
“Now he is OK and ready to play the next game against Atletico Madrid.”
Chelsea head into the game looking to build on their impressive 4-0 victory over Stoke on Saturday.
The Blues kicked off their Champions League campaign with a 6-0 thrashing of Qarabag at Stamford Bridge earlier this month.
It will be Chelsea’s first meeting with Atletico since Diego Costa’s transfer back to the Spanish club was finally confirmed last week.
However, the striker will not be featuring against the Blues because the move will not officially be completed until the January window due to Atletico’s transfer ban.
Saturday’s victory over Stoke left Chelsea in third place in the Premier League table after six games.