Fabrice Muamba retires from football following medical advice
Fabrice Muamba announces he has retired from football following his on-pitch cardiac arrest at Tottenham back in March
Fabrice Muamba has announced his retirement from football, five months after suffering a cardiac arrest during an FA Cup clash.
The 24-year-old collapsed on the pitch during a game at Tottenham Hotspur in March and needed prolonged resuscitation to get his heart beating again.
He had previously spoken of his desire to play again but Bolton on Wednesday said Muamba’s decision to retire had been made on the recommendation of his medical team, following “extensive consultations” with leading cardiologists.
“Since suffering my heart attack and being discharged from hospital, I have remained utterly positive in the belief I could one day resume my playing career and play for Bolton Wanderers once again,” Muamba said in a statement.
“As part of my on-going recovery, last week I travelled to Belgium to seek further medical advice from a leading cardiologist.
“But the news I received was obviously not what I had hoped it would be and it means I am now announcing my retirement from professional football.
“Football has been my life since I was a teenage boy and it has given me so many opportunities.
“Above all else, I love the game and count myself very lucky to have been able to play at the highest level.
“While the news is devastating, I have much to be thankful for.
“I thank God that I am alive and I pay tribute once again to the members of the medical team who never gave up on me.
“I would also like to thank everyone who has supported me throughout my career, and the Bolton fans who have been incredible.
“I am blessed to have the support of my family and friends at this time.”