Felipe Massa crash causes red flags in Monaco Grand Prix practice
Felipe Massa crashes into the barriers at the Sainte Devote corner during third the free practice session for the Monaco Grand Prix
Ferrari’s Felipe Massa crashed into the barriers at the Sainte Devote corner during the third and final free practice session ahead of Sunday’s Monaco Grand Prix.
The Brazilian’s front wheels appeared to lock up before his Ferrari went flying head-on into the barrier before the first corner.
Massa quickly gave a ‘thumbs up’ to signal he was OK before stepping out of his car and walking back down the pit lane towards the Ferrari garage.
Ferrari faced a race against the clock to get Massa’s car ready for qualifying after it suffered serious damage in the crash.
The session was red-flagged as a result of the crash with a little over 20 minutes left, as Mercedes’ Nico Rosberg set the quickest time in final practice, posting a time of 1:14.378.
The German was ahead of Lotus’ Romain Grosjean and Red Bull driver Sebastian Vettel at the street circuit.
Third practice was red-flagged once again towards the end of the session after Grosjean crashed into the barriers at Turn One.
Monaco Grand Prix 2013: Third practice times
1. Nico Rosberg Germany Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 14.378s
2. Romain Grosjean France Lotus-Renault 1m 15.039s
3. Sebastian Vettel Germany Red Bull-Renault 1m 15.261s
4. Fernando Alonso Spain Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 15.286s
5. Lewis Hamilton Britain Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 15.311s
6. Kimi Raikkonen Finand Lotus-Renault 1m 15.380s
7. Mark Webber Australia Red Bull-Renault 1m 15.550s
8. Paul di Resta Britain Force India-Mercedes 1m 15.594s
9. Pastor Maldonado Venezuela Williams-Renault 1m 15.861s
10. Nico Hulkenberg Germany Sauber-Ferrari 1m 15.926s
11. Sergio Perez Mexico McLaren-Mercedes 1m 15.958s
12. Jenson Button Britain McLaren-Mercedes 1m 15.976s
13. Jean-Eric Vergne France Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m 15.976s
14. Daniel Ricciardo Australia Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m 16.060s
15. Adrian Sutil Germany Force India-Mercedes 1m 16.068s
16. Felipe Massa Brazil Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 16.105s
17. Esteban Gutierrez Mexico Sauber-Ferrari 1m 16.427s
18. Valtteri Bottas Finland Williams-Renault 1m 16.933s
19. Charles Pic France Caterham-Renault 1m 17.902s
20. Giedo van der Garde Holland Caterham-Renault 1m 18.102s
21. Jules Bianchi France Marussia-Cosworth 1m 18.706s
22. Max Chilton Britain Marussia-Cosworth 1m 19.228s