Guillem Balague sends message to Liverpool fans about Philippe Coutinho
Guillem Balague says it is very unlikely that Barcelona will sign Philippe Coutinho this summer despite the speculation about his future
Guillem Balague has said that it is now extremely unlikely that Barcelona will be able to sign Philippe Coutinho from Liverpool this summer.
The Brazilian playmaker’s future has been a relentless source of speculation throughout the last few days in the wake on Neymar’s move from Barcelona to Paris Saint-Germain.
Liverpool are thought to have identified Coutinho as a possible attacking target for the Spanish club as a replacement for Neymar, but the La Liga side have so far been unsuccessful in convincing the Reds to sell.
The situation was made more complicated for Liverpool earlier this month when Coutinho was reported to have handed in a transfer request in a bid to force through a move.
However, the situation has not been resolved and Coutinho remains a Liverpool player for the time being, with the Reds understandably keen to keep hold of one of their prized assets.
Now, Spanish football expert Balague has suggested that it is extremely unlikely that Coutinho will move to Barcelona as things stand.
Speaking to Sky Sports, Balague said: “Barcelona set a deadline of 7pm [last] Sunday for Liverpool to accept their third for Coutinho. And that they would retract the offer if it was not accepted.
“Liverpool have not even answered, so that should mean that’s the end of that.
“Lodging a sizeable third bid for Coutinho could help Barca negotiate better deals for other targets, though.
“They may be able offer a little less for their targets now – Ousmane Dembele, Jean Michael Seri and their third target, Angel Di Maria from Paris Saint-Germain.”
Liverpool are currently preparing to take on Arsenal in their next Premier League game at Anfield on Sunday afternoon.