Former Reds chief criticises Liverpool FC for £200m transfer blunder
Former Liverpool FC chief executive Christian Purslow suggests the Reds could have got a £200m transfer fee for Philippe Coutinho in the summer
Liverpool FC could have secured a £200m transfer fee if the Reds had waited to sell Philippe Coutinho until the summer, Christian Purslow says.
The Merseyside outfit sold the South American in a reported £142m transfer to La Liga giants Barcelona in the January transfer window.
The Reds managed to get an extra six months out of the 25-year-old after he initially handed in a transfer request last summer.
Coutinho scored 12 goals and made eight assists in 18 starts in the 2017-18 campaign before Liverpool FC finally opted to sell their number 10.
The Brazilian midfielder has left a void in the Liverpool FC team, and the Reds opted against signing a replacement in January.
The South American playmaker will be hoping to secure a place in the Brazil squad for the World Cup in Russia this summer.
Former Liverpool FC managing director Purslow believes the Reds could have secured £200m for Coutinho at the end of the season.
“I think come the summer, Coutinho is a starter for Brazil and playing brilliantly, if PSG, Real Madrid and Barcelona were all in for Coutinho on the back of a World Cup, this player could have been £200m,” Purslow told The Debate on Sky Sports on Tuesday night.
“The winners were Barcelona and the losers were Liverpool FC, other than their bank balance.”
Coutinho was signed in an £8.5m deal from Serie A giants Inter Milan in the 2013 January transfer window.
The Reds signed Netherlands international Virgil van Dijk in a club record £75m deal from Southampton last month.
Liverpool FC are in third place in the Premier League table but a mere three points behind Manchester United.