Jurgen Klopp told Liverpool FC should have signed proven 29-year-old
Phil Neville says England number one Joe Hart would have improved the Liverpool FC defence
Liverpool should have signed England number one Joe Hart in the summer transfer window, according to Phil Neville.
The Reds have alternated between Simon Mignolet and Loris Karius throughout the 2016-17 campaign and 2017-18 season so far.
Liverpool conceded 48 times in the Premier League last term but still managed to squeeze into the top four places.
The Reds were linked with a move to sign Hart but Jurgen Klopp rubbished the transfer rumours despite the England No1 being out of favour at Manchester City.
Hart ended up moving to West Ham United from the Citizens after being deemed surplus to requirements at The Etihad.
Liverpool have already conceded 13 goals in seven games in all competitions, including a resounding 5-0 loss to Manchester City.
Former Manchester United defender Neville questioned why Klopp didn’t move to sign Hart from the Citizens this summer.
“They have problems at centre half. I’m surprised he didn’t go out and sign Joe Hart – a real top class goalkeeper,” Neville told BBC Radio 5 Live.
“He is better than what they’ve got. He would have given them some stature.”
Liverpool drew 2-2 with La Liga side Sevilla in their Champions League opener at Anfield before a 1-1 stalemate with Burnley on Saturday afternoon.
The Reds signed four players in the summer transfer window but didn’t recruit a new goalkeeper.