Club chief issues statement on Liverpool FC and Arsenal’s interest in 22-year-old attacker
Monaco will not be selling Thomas Lemar to either Arsenal or Liverpool FC in the January transfer window, says the Monaco vice president
Monaco vice president Vadim Vasilyev has bluntly told both Liverpool FC and Arsenal that Thomas Lemar is not for sale this month.
The two Premier League clubs have both been strongly linked with moves to sign the 22-year-old French attacker in the past and there has been some speculation in the January transfer window as well.
Arsenal were thought to have come close to signing Lemar last summer before the deal fell through, while Liverpool FC have also regularly been credited with an interest in the Monaco star.
However, Monaco chief Vasilyev has now indicated that the Ligue 1 club have no intention of cashing in on Lemar before Wednesday night’s transfer deadline.
Vasilyev told RMC, as quoted by the Liverpool Echo: “He will stay at Monaco until the end of the season, 100 per cent.
“If Liverpool or Arsenal come with a big offer before the end of the market? This is not relevant.
“We will say no because the objectives are clear.
“Without important players like Lemar, we will not succeed.”
Lemar has scored two goals and made five assists in 16 Ligue 1 appearances so far this season.
Meanwhile, Liverpool FC confirmed on Tuesday that they had agreed a deal to let striker Daniel Sturridge move on loan to West Bromwich Albion until the end of the season.
The striker has been searching for regular game-time as he bids to earn a place in the World Cup squad with England ahead of this summer’s tournament in Russia.