Monaco Grand Prix 2013: Rosberg and Hamilton top practice
Monaco Grand Prix 2013: Mercedes duo Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton set the pace in practice for Sunday's race
Mercedes duo Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton set the pace in the first two free practice sessions ahead of Sunday’s Monaco Grand Prix.
The German was 0.318 seconds quicker than Hamilton as the Mercedes pair impressed ahead of qualifying at the street circuit on Saturday.
Fernando Alonso was third-fastest, 0.437 seconds behind Rosberg and 0.082 seconds ahead of his Ferrari team-mate Felipe Massa.
Defending world champion Sebastian Vettel ended up ninth-fastest accross the two sessions, behind McLaren’s Jenson Button and Lotus’ Romain Grosjean.
“It was OK,” said the Red Bull driver. “Unfortunately, we had a big change and we lost quite a bit of time in the afternoon. Not completely ideal. We’d like to be a little bit more competitive in low-fuel configuration so we need to find some more lap time there.
“My short run on super-soft was very poor. We need to understand why I wasn’t able to improve which you should be able to quite easily.
“After that we did a long run on super-soft and it seemed quite OK.”
Monaco Grand Prix 2013: Thursday practice (combined times)
1. Nico Rosberg Germany Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 14.759s
2. Lewis Hamilton Britain Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 15.077s
3. Fernando Alonso Spain Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 15.196s
4. Felipe Massa Brazil Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 15.278s
5. Mark Webber Australia Red Bull-Renault 1m 15.404s
6. Kimi Raikkonen Finand Lotus-Renault 1m 15.511s
7. Romain Grosjean France Lotus-Renault 1m 15.718s
8. Jenson Button Britain McLaren-Mercedes 1m 15.959s
9. Sebastian Vettel Germany Red Bull-Renault 1m 16.014s
10. Paul di Resta Britain Force India-Mercedes 1m 16.046s
11. Adrian Sutil Germany Force India-Mercedes 1m 16.349s
12. Sergio Perez Mexico McLaren-Mercedes 1m 16.434s
13. Nico Hulkenberg Germany Sauber-Ferrari 1m 16.823s
14. Pastor Maldonado Venezuela Williams-Renault 1m 16.857s
15. Esteban Gutierrez Mexico Sauber-Ferrari 1m 16.935s
16. Daniel Ricciardo Australia Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m 17.145s
17. Jean-Eric Vergne France Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m 17.184s
18. Valtteri Bottas Finland Williams-Renault 1m 17.264s
19. Jules Bianchi France Marussia-Cosworth 1m 17.892s
20. Charles Pic France Caterham-Renault 1m 18.212s
21. Max Chilton Britain Marussia-Cosworth 1m 18.784s
22. Giedo van der Garde Holland Caterham-Renault 1m 19.031s