QPR new boy Chris Samba has taken a massive pay cut – Harry Redknapp
QPR manager Harry Redknapp says Chris Samba has taken a "massive pay cut" to join the Hoops from Anzhi Makhachkala
Harry Redknapp says that Chris Samba has taken a “massive pay cut” to join Queens Park Rangers from Anzhi Makhachkala.
The 28-year-old penned a three-and-a-half year deal at Loftus Road on Thursday after the Hoops had a £12.5m bid accepted by the Russian side for the Congo international.
It had been speculated Samba was set to pick up a £100,000-a-week wage, but Redknapp rubbished these claims.
“He was willing to take a massive pay cut because I don’t think he was enjoying it over there,” Redknapp told QPR’s weekly call-in show.
“I’ve tried to sign him loads of times. Tony (Fernandes) said to me ‘I’m going to get you these players and when I do you’re going to build a statue of me in your back garden.”
Earlier on Thursday, Samba admitted he wass delighted to seal a return to the English top flight after moving to Anzhi from Blackburn Rovers in February 2012.
“I’m delighted to be back in the Premier League. It’s the best league in the world to play football,” said Samba. “I’ve been linked with the club for a long time.
“With Harry here though, he is really passionate and he wants to do something with the club. Unfortunately things haven’t gone the way the club would have wanted so far this season but there’s still a lot of time and I’m sure we can get out of it.”
He added: “I know what is going on with the project here. There is a very important fan base, I’ve played at Loftus Road before and it’s fantastic.
“The club is ambitious and I’m sure it’s a good challenge for me. If I can be a part of it I will be very proud, it will be a great achievement for me.
“I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t believe we could get out of trouble.”