Relaxed Fernando Torres ready for hectic Chelsea run-in
Fernando Torres says he feels refreshed and ready to fight for his place in the Chelsea team after the international break
Fernando Torres says he feels refreshed and ready to fight for his place in the Chelsea team after the international break.
The striker was not called up to Vicente del Bosque’s Spain squad for last week’s World Cup qualifiers and although he admitted his frustration at not being involved – he’s now raring to go as the season reaches its climax.
“It was relaxing but everyone wants to be involved with the national team and not have this time available,” Torres told Chelsea’s website ahead of Saturday’s trip to Southampton.
“It was a good break and I enjoyed it with my family and had some rest, and now I’m ready for the next challenge.”
Chelsea take on Manchester United in the FA Cup quarter-final replay on Monday before hosting Rubin Kazan in the Europa League three days later.
And Torres says the Blues are fully focused on bringing home two trophies – the FA Cup and Europa League – this season.
“The team has been in good form in recent weeks. We have great players and they are there when the team need them, so it’s time for them to shine,” he said.
“From now until the end we are going to see good team performances. We know what we are playing for, and we want to win trophies.
“We won two last season and we want to do the same again. To do that we have to beat Man United and Rubin Kazan, but not forget the league because also we want to be in the Champions League next season.”