Best Gym Backpacks 2022
A good gym backpack can help to keep all of your gear organised and make for easy transportation. Here's what you need to know
Are you looking for a gym backpack for easy transportation and storage of your training gear?
Having a great quality gym backpack can help you to keep your stuff organised while you focus on training, and many people find them much more comfortable to carry around than a bigger duffel bag with a single shoulder strap.
In this article, we’re going to bring you everything you need to know about picking out a quality gym rucksack, from the size, to the brand and the materials used to make it.
We’re also going to reveal our pick of five of the best gym backpacks on the market right now from a range of reputable sportswear brands.
So, with the introductions out of the way, let’s begin our guide to the top gym backpacks around at the moment.
Gym Backpacks – Things To Consider
Before we go any further, if you’re looking for a larger gym bag to house more gear, be sure to check out our separate guide to the best gym bags around at the moment, which focuses on duffel bags and other bigger options. In this article, we’re going to be focusing solely on backpacks and rucksacks.
There are a few things to bear in mind when shopping for a gym backpack, as they are not all created equal. Here are some of the considerations to think about.
• Size – This size and capacity of the bag is probably the most important factor to consider when shopping for a gym rucksack. It’s worth having a think about exactly how much gear you’ll be storing in it. For example, will you be looking to house a pair of trainers in it, and would you benefit from having a laptop compartment? On the other hand, you may be looking for smaller gym rucksack to store only your essential pieces of kit. Be sure to check the capacity, which is usually shown in litres on the official manufacturer website, so that you can be sure the bag will be the right size for you. If you’re going to be storing your backpack in a locker, be sure to check it will fit before making a purchase.
• Storage – It’s also a good idea to check how many pockets and compartments the bag has. Many good gym rucksacks will have a compartmented design which can help to keep your sweaty gym gear away from other clothes or items. Additionally, having some internal and external zip pockets can make it easier to pack away your other small items.
• Comfort And Weight – Many people find wearing a rucksack with two shoulder straps to be more comfortable than carrying a duffel bag with a single strap. That being said, it’s also worth checking that the rucksack has additional cushioning on the shoulder straps and back to ensure comfort if this is an important factor for you to consider. Another thing to consider is the weight of the bag when empty. If you’re going to be storing lots of heavy gear, it might be worth opting for a lightweight rucksack.
• Style And Colour – Less important to some people than others is the look and style of the bag. Most gym bags are available in standard darker colours such as black and grey, but some brands do offer more style choices when it comes to the overall look. It’s a good idea to do some digging to see whether the bag you’re looking at is available in other colours.
• Brand – Finally, it’s always worth doing a bit of your own research into the brands and manufacturers behind the bag. All of the gym rucksacks we’ve featured below are made by established sportswear brands who have track histories in the industry, but it’s never a bad idea to do a bit reading up on the companies yourself. That could include seeing what other customers are saying about their products in online reviews, and checking the conditions of their returns, refunds and exchanges policies on the official website.
Best Gym Backpacks 2022 – Our Pick
So, now that we’ve covered some of the main things to bear in mind when shopping for a good gym rucksack, it’s time to take a look at our pick of five top options on the market at the moment.
All of the backpacks featured below are made by reputable sportswear brands and in most cases they are available to buy on the official websites, directly from the manufacturer, with worldwide shipping options to countries such as the USA and UK. That said, be sure to check the delivery and shipping options before making a purchase.
1) Nike Storm-Fit ADV Utility Speed (27L)
Where to buy: www.nike.com
The first gym backpack on our list is the practical and great-looking Nike Storm-Fit ADV Utility Speed. Made using Storm-Fit technology to help with wind and rain resistance, this 27-litre backpack has an internal laptop sleeve and simply looks great. It has adjustable padded shoulder straps for maximum comfort and boasts multiple zip pockets on the front to store smaller items. The side pockets can also hold a water bottle or other small essentials. This is a practical and stylish option from a reputable sportswear brand.
2) Lululemon Cruiser Backpack (22L)
Where to buy: www.lululemon.com
Next up is Lululemon’s Cruiser Backpack. Featuring a 22-litre capacity, this backpack has an outer strap and pocket to hold a yoga mat, and also has an exterior padded pocket to hold up to a 15-inch laptop. It has multiple outer pockets to house your small essentials and a side pocket for storing a water bottle or protein shake. Made from 100% polyester, this bag is another straightforward and stylish option from a top sportswear brand.
3) Gymshark X-Series 0.3 Backpack (21L)
Where to buy: www.gymshark.com
The next bag on our list is the Gymshark X-Series 0.3 Backpack. This one has a 21-litre capacity and has been designed to store your gear while you train hard in the gym. With four zip side pockets and one main internal compartment, this bag also features a padded laptop sleeve and zip organisers. It also has a removable and adjustable T-frame on the inside for electrical equipment. It’s made from polyurethane and features an air-mesh back panel with contoured padding.
4) Under Armour Project Rock Pro Box (33L)
Where to buy: www.underarmour.com
Under Armour’s Project Rock Pro Box Backpack is part of the range of products endorsed by Dwayne Johnson. Featuring a generous 33-litre capacity, this is a good option if you’re looking for a bigger gym backpack to house all of your gear while you train (it’s the largest capacity bag featured on this page). It has water-resistant properties to help keep your gear dry and uses durable and lightweight Cordura fabric. It has a quilted and padded back panel plus adjustable shoulder straps for comfort, and has a zippered laptop compartment which can fit devices up to 15 inches.
5) Nike Utility Speed Training Backpack (27L)
Where to buy: www.nike.com
The final option on our list is another offering from Nike. The Nike Utility Speed Training Backpack is a well-designed 27-litre capacity rucksack designed to store your training gear. Featuring an internal laptop sleeve for a device up to 15-inches in size, this backpack has side sleeves to hold water bottles and has a zipped main compartment which opens wide and flat for easy access. The shoulder straps are also padded with Nike’s Max Air units for added comfort and it has multiple external pockets on the front to store your small items.
Anything Else To Bear In Mind?
As we mentioned above, if you’re going to be storing your backpack in a locker, be sure to check the dimensions before making a purchase so you can be sure it will fit.
We also recommend reading the returns and exchanges policy on the site you’re purchasing from so that you’ll know where you stand if you decide to return the bag for any reason.
If you’re specifically looking for a bag that’s waterproof, do also remember to check what the manufacturers say about this on the official product page so you can be sure it will deliver.
Wrapping Things Up – Our Final Thoughts
So, that brings us to the end of our guide to the best gym backpacks. We’ve walked you through the key things to bear in mind when selecting a quality gym rucksack, from the size, to the colour and the storage options.
We’ve also picked out five of the best options available right now to house your gear while you train. We currently rate the Nike Storm-Fit ADV Utility Speed as our favourite choice, but all of the backpacks featured on this page are excellent options.