Best Gym Bags 2022
We check out some of the best gym bags to help keep your stuff organised and secure before and after your workouts
Whether you train in the morning, afternoon or evening, it’s always important to be able to carry your things safely and securely – and that’s where having the right gym bag can help.
Having somewhere to store all of your gear for easy access is important, and having a bag that’s comfortable and easy to transport is also key.
In this article, we’re going to take a look at some of the key things to consider when shopping for a gym bag or backpack. We’re going to take a look at the some of the aspects to think about and also bring you five of our picks of the best options on the market at the moment.
So, with the introductions out of the way, let’s begin our guide to the best gym bags and backpacks.
Gym Bags And Backpacks – Things To Consider
There are loads of sports and gym bags available on the market these days from a wide range of brands. Whether you’re looking for a compact backpack to store your essentials or a bigger holdall to keep all of your gear in, there are plenty of options out there.
Not all gym bags are created equal though, and there are a few things to bear in mind when you’re shopping for one. Here are some of the key points to consider when picking out the best gym bag for you.
• Size – The size is probably the biggest variable when it comes to gym bags – and it all depends on what you’re looking for. It’s worth asking yourself if you’re after a more compact backpack to store mainly your essential items, or whether you’re looking for a bigger holdall or duffel bag that can house all of your kit and changes of clothes. Some brands also offer different sizes of the same product, so be sure to think about how much stuff you’re planning on carrying around before making a purchase. If you plan on leaving your bag in a locker, it’s worth double checking that the bag you’re considering will fit inside it comfortably. Most brands will show the capacity of the bag in litres in the product description.
• Type – Some people may prefer a rucksack over a duffel bag design. We’ve featured some of both options on this page, and some bags also have removable shoulder straps which allow them to be used as both rucksacks and duffel bags.
• What It’s Like To Use – Aside from being able to store all of your gear easily, it’s important to pick out a gym bag that’s also comfortable to use. If you’re going for a holdall-type bag, then it’s worth checking whether it has a shoulder strap if you prefer to carry it that way. If you’re more focused on getting a gym backpack, then it’s also worth checking whether the shoulder straps are padded and that it’s easy to get stuff in and out.
• Style And Look – After the practical points above, it’s also worth taking the time to find a bag you like the look of. True, it’s usually more important to have a practical bag than one that simply looks good, but choosing an option which looks cool is an added bonus. There are plenty of excellent designs out there, many of which are made by some of the leading sportswear brands. Colour is another aspect to consider. Many gym bags are offered in a range of colours, but some of the most popular ones are darker, and these may be better options as they are likely to show less dirt than lighter colours.
• Brand – Lastly, it’s worth taking the time to do some research into the brand and manufacturer behind the product. All of the gym bags featured on this page are made by established sportswear brands who have track histories making gym gear. However, although we hope this guide will be useful, it’s never a bad idea to do some of your own research and read up on some of the customer reviews online about the products you’re considering buying.
Best Gym Bags 2022 – Our Pick
So, now that we’ve covered some of the main points to think about when shopping for a gym bag, it’s time to reveal our pick of five of the best options on the market right now.
All of the bags featured below are available to buy directly from the manufacturer on the official website, and they should be available in most countries, including the UK and USA.
1) Nike Utility Power Training Duffel Bag (51L)
Where to buy: www.nike.com
The first option on our list is Nike’s Utility Power Training Duffel Bag. With a generous 51-litre capacity and multiple outside pockets to help you store your items easily, this is a great option if you’re looking for a solid, all-round gym bag specifically designed for training gear. It has built-in ventilation to help your gear breathe, and a padded shoulder strap to make for comfortable carrying. We also think it looks great in its smoke grey colour scheme.
2) Lululemon Command the Day Large Duffle Bag (37L)
Where to buy: www.lululemon.com
Next up is Lululemon’s Command the Day Large Duffle Bag. A slightly more compact option, this 37-litre duffel bag is simple and stylish. It has divided space inside, including a ‘garage’ to keep your shoes away from the rest of your gear when not in use. It has both interior and exterior pockets to keep your things organised, and it’s a great-looking option if you’re looking for a simple but stylish gym bag to take with you to your workouts.
3) Under Armour Contain Duo Medium Duffle (50L)
Where to buy: www.underarmour.com
Under Armour’s Contain Duo Medium Duffle Bag is the next option on our list. This bag can be used as both a duffle bag and a rucksack, featuring shoulder straps and a removable duffle strap. With a generous capacity of around 50 litres, it also has a laptop sleeve and a gusseted laundry or shoe pocket at the bottom. The main compartment is vented to help your gear breathe, and the outer lining of the bag has a water-repellent finish.
4) Gymshark LC Holdall (52L)
Where to buy: www.gymshark.com
The Gymshark LC Holdall is the next bag on our list. Another spacious option with 52 litres of storage space, it features a reinforced base and slip pockets to keep your essentials safe and secure. It also has a special zip ‘wet’ pocket on the side for storing your sweaty gear after a workout so you can keep it separate from your other items. The shoulder strap has a padded part to ensure comfort, and the bag features a matte Gymshark logo printed on the side.
5) Nike Utility Speed Training Backpack (27L)
Where to buy: www.nike.com
The final product on our list is the backpack version of the Nike duffel bag above. The Nike Utility Speed Training Backpack is an excellent option if you’re looking specifically for a training backpack that has good storage options and looks great. Featuring a similar design to its duffel bag equivalent, this bag has shoulder straps padded with Nike’s Max Air tech to make for maximum comfort. With a total storage capacity of 27 litres, and multiple zip pockets, plus side sleeves to hold bottles, this is an excellent training rucksack to take with you to the gym.
Anything Else To Bear In Mind?
We always recommend that you check the returns, refunds and exchanges policy on the site you’re shopping from before making a purchase, so you’ll know where you stand if you’re not happy with your item.
While hope this guide has been useful, but it’s always also a good idea to do some of your own research into the products you’re looking at, and that includes checking out what customers are saying via online reviews.
It’s also important to check the washing instructions which come with your bag. Some bags may be able to be machine washed (although this is somewhat rare) – but you should double check this on the label.
Wrapping Things Up – Our Final Thoughts
So, that brings us to the end of our gym bag buying guide. We’ve walked you through some of the key things to consider when selecting the best option for you, including storage capacity and practicality.
After doing our research, currently rate the Nike Utility Power Training Duffel Bag as the top item on our list, but all of the bags featured on this page are excellent option to store your gear while you work out.