Best Men’s Running Shorts With Zip Pockets 2023
We take a look at some of the best running shorts featuring zipped pockets to help keep your keys, cards or phone secure
Having a good pair of running shorts is essential for helping you to perform at your best.
Many traditional running shorts feature a pocketless design to provide a lightweight and breathable feel. However, with many runners now taking their phones with them, the demand for running shorts with zipped pockets has increased.
In this article, we’re going to bring you everything you need to know about selecting the best pair of running shorts with zipped pockets to help keep your phone and other items secure during your workout.
We’ve also done the research for you, and have picked out five of the best running shorts with zipped pockets available to buy right now to help you find the ideal pair for you.
So, with the introductions out of the way, let’s start taking a look at some of the key things to consider when shopping for running shorts with zipped pockets.
Running Shorts With Zipped Pockets – Things To Consider
You’re probably already aware that not all running shorts are created equal. Here are some of the main things to bear in mind when selecting the right pair for you.
• Material – The material your running shorts are made from are a crucial point to consider as it will greatly affect how the shorts feel and perform during a run. Generally speaking, most modern running shorts are mainly made from synthetic materials to help provide a light and airy feel and also wick moisture away from your legs. Some of the common synthetic materials used for lightweight and moisture wicking running shorts are polyester and nylon. It is possible to buy running shorts made from more natural materials such as cotton. However, the drawback is that cotton can often soak up moisture and therefore become heavy during workouts. Generally speaking, synthetic materials will help to keep your legs drier and provide a light feel so that you can perform at your best.
• Fit – Running shorts come in a variety of different fits and designs. The one you go for will ultimately come down to personal preference. For example, you may prefer a longer pair of shorts offering more leg coverage with a simple sports short design, or a more traditional V‑Notch running shorts, which are designed to offer a greater range of movement for runners. There are also other options out there, such as compression shorts.
• Pockets – Taking your house keys, phone or a payment card out with you for your runs? If you don’t own a running belt or other accessory to keep them safe, you’ll want to pick a pair of running shorts with zipped pockets. Some brands offer a single zipped pocket at the top of the back of the shorts to hold your phone and other valuables, while others have multiple zip pockets in different places for added storage capacity. If you’re specifically looking for running shorts with a zipped pocket to hold your smartphone, be sure to carefully check the specs provided by the manufacturer to be sure your device will fit. Some zipped pockets in running shorts are only big enough to hold smaller items such as house keys or payment cards.
• Brand – It’s always worth doing a bit of research into the company behind the product to see what customers are saying and gauge their overall reputation in the industry. All of the zip pocket running shorts feature below come from reputable sportswear brands, but it’s never a bad idea to do some of your own research before making a purchase.
Best Men’s Running Shorts With Zip Pockets 2023 – Our Pick
So, now that we’ve covered some of the key things to think about when shopping for running shorts, it’s time to reveal our pick of five of the best options for running shorts with zip pockets available at the moment.
The shorts below all come from reputable and established sportswear brands and all feature at least one zip pocket to help keep your items secure during your runs.
1) Nike Dri-Fit Stride Running Shorts
Where to buy: www.nike.com
The first option on our list are Nike’s Nike Dri-Fit Stride Running Shorts. A highly popular choice, these running shorts feature a lightweight design to help promote maximum ease of movement. They feature an ergonomic brief liner and use Nike’s Dri-FiT Technology to help wick away moisture from your legs and keep you dry. As well as two regular side pockets, these shorts also feature a zipped back pocket at the top to hold essentials such as keys, cards or a phone. Bear in mind, though, that the zipped pocket in these shorts may not be quite big enough to fit a plus-sized phone.
2) Under Armour Men’s UA Speedpocket 5″ Shorts
Where to buy: www.underarmour.com
Next up are Under Armour’s UA Speedpocket 5-inch Shorts. These are an excellent option for runners looking for shorts with a zipped pocket on the back to help keep your items safe while working out. They feature a built-in brief for extra comfort and are made from a lightweight and stretchy material. The secure zipped back pocket is large enough to hold most phones up to 6″x3″ in size.
3) lululemon Pace Breaker Linerless Shorts
Where to buy: www.lululemon.com
The next product on our list are lululemon’s Pace Breaker Linerless Shorts. These are multi-sport shorts which can be worn for running or hitting the gym. As well as regular side pockets, these shorts also have an extra zipped pocket on the side to help keep your essentials safe while working out. Made from a blend of nylon, polyester and lycra elastane, and available in a wide array of colours, these premium-quality training shorts are a great option.
4) Adidas Break The Norm Shorts
Where to buy: www.adidas.com
Adidas’ Break The Norm Shorts are the next option on our list. These striped running shorts feature a classic design and are made from 100% recycled polyester. They feature a slightly shorter length and the classic Adidas three-stripes design on the side. They are a regular fit and feature a concealed small zip pocket for holding your essentials. These are a great option for runners looking for regular-fit shorts with a retro feel to them.
5) Under Armour Men’s UA SpeedPocket Trail Shorts
Where to buy: www.underarmour.com
The final option on our list are Under Armour Men’s UA SpeedPocket Trail Shorts. These shorts feature a large zipped pocket which can hold most phones comfortably (up to 6″x3″). They feature a four-way stretch material for added ease of movement and are made from a lightweight material designed to help wick sweat away from your body and which dries quickly. These shorts also feature an internal mesh liner to help wick moisture away.
Anything Else To Consider?
As mentioned above, if you’re specifically looking for running shorts with a zip pocket to hold your phone, be sure to check the specifications provided by the manufacturer to ensure your device will fit, as some pockets are smaller and only designed to house smaller items such as keys or cards.
It’s also important to carefully check the size guide provided on the official manufacturer website before making a purchase, so that you can be sure the shorts will fit you properly.
Wrapping Things Up – Our Final Thoughts
So, that brings us to the end of our look at some of the best men’s running shorts with zip pockets. We’ve walked you through some of the important things to consider while shopping for running shorts and have also picked out five of the best options out there on the market at the moment.
The Nike Dri-Fit Stride Running Shorts are the top option on our list. These shorts are made from a breathable, lightweight material and feature a small zipped pocket at the back. But all of the shorts featured on this page are good options to help you perform at your best while running.