Best Small Gym Bags 2023
Keep your essentials and workout gear stored and secure with our guide to some of the best small gym bags available
Looking for a practical and efficient small gym bag to store your essentials while you’re working out?
Finding the right duffle bag or backpack for your workouts can sometimes be a bit tricky, so we’ve put together this handy guide to help you to pick out the best option for you.
Gym bags come in all shapes and sizes, of course – from spacious duffle bags to small and practical rucksacks. Sometimes though, we want something small and efficient that we can take out and about with us and that won’t take up too much space.
In this article, we’re going to bring you the key things to bear in mind when shopping for a high quality small gym bag. We’re also going to pick out five of our top choices from a range of different sportswear brands.
So, with the introductions out of the way, let’s start taking a look at some of the main things to consider when picking out a small gym bag.
Picking A Small Gym Bag – Things To Consider
There are a few things to bear in mind when picking out the best small gym bag for you. Here are some of the main points to consider.
• Size and Capacity – The actual size of the bag you go for will ultimately come down to personal preference. Most brands will provide the exact capacity of their bags (usually in litres) in the descriptions on the official website. It’s also worth having a look at the dimensions provided so that you can get a feel for the size of the bag if you’re shopping online. If you’re unsure about the numbers, it could be a good idea to pop into your local sports store and check out a few bags to get a good feel for the optimal size for you.
• Material, Colour And Style – Most gym bags come in dark colours because lighter colours tend to show dirt and scuffs more easily. That being said, most of the gym bags featured below come in a selection of different colours. It’s also worth paying attention to the material the bag is made of. Most modern gym bags are constructed from synthetic materials such as polyester. It’s a good idea to check whether the bag can be machine washed and whether it’s waterproof, if those features are important to you.
• Storage Compartments – It’s a good idea to check out the layout of the gym bag you’re looking at so that you’ll know whether it will be a good option for storing your gear. Many good gym bags have separate compartments to keep your gym stuff away from your other items. Some also have specific compartments for shoes, keys and phones. The product description on the official brand website should give you a good indication of how the interior of the bag is designed.
• Brand – Lastly, it’s worth doing a bit of research into the brand. All of the bags we’ve featured below are made by reputable sportswear brands, and the company you go for will usually come down to personal preference. Before picking your ideal small gym bag, it’s not a bad idea to do some research for yourself and read some of the verified customer reviews of the one you’re looking at to see if it’s well-rated or not.
Best Small Gym Bags 2023 – Our Pick
So, with the introductions out of the way, it’s now time to start taking a look at our pick of five of the best small gym bags around at the moment.
All of the bags featured below were available to buy from the official brand websites at the time of writing. Bear in mind though that manufacturers often refresh their line-ups, so it’s not a bad idea to have a quick browse of the relevant section on the official site to see what else is available.
1) Gymshark Small Everyday Gym Bag (34L)
Where to buy: www.gymshark.com
The first option on our list is a great little option from Gymshark. The Gymshark Small Everyday Gym Bag has a capacity of 34 litres and has both handles and a shoulder strap for when you’re carrying it around. It has a shoe tunnel and a ‘wet’ pocket for keeping your gym gear away from your other stuff. It also has a slip pocket on the outside for storing your small items. This bag is made from 80% polyester and comes in a few different colours, including the black option featured above.
2) Nike Brasilia Training Duffle Bag (41L)
Where to buy: www.nike.com
Next up is the Nike Brasilia Training Duffle Bag. With a capacity of 41 litres, this bag has plenty of space but is still classified as ‘small’ on the official Nike website. This bag is designed specifically to keep all of your training gear at hand and it has a side compartment to store shoes separately. It has a range of zip pockets to help keep your small items safe and secure and is made from a large percentage of recycled polyester. It’s available in a range of colours, including the black and grey option pictured above.
3) Lululemon Lab Convertible Duffle Bag (29L)
Where to buy: www.lululemon.com
Next up is the Lululemon Lab Convertible Duffle Bag. As the name suggests, this 29-litre duffle bag can be ‘converted’ and worn as a rucksack. It has plenty of external pockets to help keep your smaller items at hand and features a range of interior pockets to help keep your gear organised. Made mainly from Nylon, this bag has backpack straps that allow it to be worn on your back, along with the handles you’d expect from a duffle bag. The bag also has an exterior water bottle pocket for easy access.
4) Under Armour Undeniable 5.0 Small Duffle Bag (40L)
Where to buy: www.underarmour.com
The Under Armour Undeniable 5.0 Small Duffle Bag has a capacity of 40 litres and as well as being lightweight, features water repellent materials on the outside. It has handles and an adjustable shoulder strap as well as a dual water bottle slip pocket. Inside, it has a large vented pocket for laundry or shoes, and a number of internal slip pockets to help keep your stuff organised. It’s available in a range of colours, including the grey and black option shown above.
5) Gymshark X-Series Bag (21L)
Where to buy: www.gymshark.com
The final option on this list is a small gym rucksack by Gymshark. The Gymshark X-Series Bag has a capacity of 21 litres and has a large main entry pocket to allow you to easily access your stuff. It has an adjustable and removable T-frame organiser for your equipment and features four zip side pockets to keep your smaller items safe and secure. It also has a top-entry padded laptop sleeve and zip organisers. This is a really great option if you’re looking for a quality gym backpack with plenty of storage options.
Anything Else To Bear In Mind?
As we mentioned above, if possible it’s not a bad idea to pop into your local sports store to check out a few bags and get a feel of what you’re looking for. This is especially important if you’re not entirely sure about which size or capacity to go for.
If you are shopping online, it’s also a good idea to double-check the returns, refunds and exchanges policy on the site you’re buying from so that you’ll know where you stand if you have to return items for any reason.
Wrapping Things Up – Our Final Thoughts
So, that brings us to the end of our guide to the best small gym bags. We’ve walked you through some of the key things to consider when shopping for a gym bag, and have also picked out five of the top options on the market right now.
The Gymshark Small Everyday Gym Bag is currently our top pick, but all of the bags featured on this page should be solid options.