Best Women’s Running Shorts With A Phone Pocket 2023
Finding a good pair of women's running shorts with a pocket for your smartphone can be tricky. Here's what you need to know
Running shorts are an essential piece of gear – and finding the right pair can sometimes be a bit tricky. There are plenty of options out there, but you may have found that women’s running shorts which have pockets to hold your phone securely are hard to come by.
We’ve especially noticed this to be the case in sports stores on the high street – so shopping online might be your best bet for this kind of garment.
Luckily for you, we’ve done the hard work for you and have picked out some of the best women’s running shorts on the market, all of which have a pocket which can hold your phone.
In this article, we’re going to take a close look at some of the key considerations worth thinking about while you’re shopping for running shorts. Not all running shorts are created equal, and there are few key points to consider before making a purchase.
We’re also going to pick out five of the best women’s running shorts on the market right now, all of which feature pockets to store your small items and device.
So, with the introduction out of the way, let’s begin our buying guide to women’s running shorts with phone pockets.
Women’s Running Shorts – Things to Consider
There are a few things to think about when shopping for a pair of running shorts, such as the different styles and fits, plus other variables like the material and colour. Here are some of the key things to consider.
• Fit And Style – This is probably the most important aspect to consider when shopping for running shorts. How your shorts fit you and feel is crucial, and ideally you’ll be looking for a pair which feel light and that don’t restrict your ease of movement while running. Running shorts are available in a few different fits and designs which all have their benefits and drawbacks. For example, you might be looking for a loose fitting and airy V-notch running shorts, or you might prefer a tight-fitting stretch option such as compression shorts. The type and look you go for will ultimately come down to personal preference but it’s worth being aware of the multiple design options out there.
• Material – One of the main points to consider is the material the shorts are made from. Most modern running shorts are made from synthetic materials such as nylon and polyester to help wick away moisture from your body and also provide a lightweight and airy feel. Compression-style shorts are often made from a blend of polyester and elastane to provide that stretchy, body-hugging feel. There are other options out there in terms of materials (such as cotton) if you’re not keen on the popular ones such as polyester – but these are generally less common.
• Pockets – Pockets are probably the most underrated features of good running shorts. It’s very rare to go on a run without taking any items (such as house keys, cards or your phone) out with you. Having good storage options for your small items during your run is important. We favour shorts with zip pockets, so that you can keep your items secure and don’t have to worry about things falling out midway through your workout. The shorts featured on this page all feature at least one zip pocket for storage of small items such as your keys, cards and phone. However, if you have a plus-sized phone or plan to take bigger items out running with you, it’s best to check the dimensions of the pockets before making a purchase as having a pocket that’s not quite big enough for your phone can be very frustrating.
• Brand – The shorts featured on this page are made by brands with long histories of making quality products in the sportswear and running world. That being said, it’s never a bad idea to do some of your own research into the manufacturer by checking out some customer reviews and seeing what products are the most highly-rated before making a purchase.
• Other Features – If you run near roads or in low-light conditions, then it may be a good idea to go for a pair of shorts which have reflective details to help keep you more visible. Many of the top brands now offer reflective elements as standard but it might be worth looking out for them if you think it would be an important feature.
Best Women’s Running Shorts With A Phone Pocket 2023 – Our Pick
So, now that we’ve covered the main things to consider when shopping for women’s running shorts, it’s time to bring you our pick of five of the best options on the market at the moment.
As mentioned above, all of the shorts below feature at least one zip pocket that can be used to store your phone. But if you have a larger or plus-sized device, it’s best to double check that the dimensions will be compatible before making a purchase.
1) Nike Dri-Fit Run Division Tempo Luxe Shorts
Where to buy: www.nike.com
The first shorts on our list are Nike’s Dri-Fit Run Division Tempo Luxe Shorts. Nike are well-established as one of the biggest sportswear brands in the world and they have a rich history in the field of running. These lightweight and stretchy shorts have a brief liner and an elastic waistband for added comfort. They also feature Nike’s Dri-Fit technology to help move sweat away from your body and have reflective details to keep you more visible in low-light conditions. These shorts also feature two zip side pockets and an internal audio pocket in the back, meaning that you’ll have plenty of storage space for your phone and other items.
2) Under Armour Women’s UA Speedpocket Shorts
Where to buy: www.underarmour.com
Next up are Under Armour’s Women’s UA Speedpocket Shorts. Known for their well-constructed and durable sportswear products, Under Armour have a great selection of running shorts. The UA Speedpocket Shorts are made from a light, stretch-woven fabric to provide maximum ease of movement, and they also feature a built-in brief for added coverage and support. Made from a four-way stretch material, these shorts also have an expandable center-front phone pocket built in to the waistband that’s water-resistant and secure.
3) Nike Trail Epic Luxe Running Shorts
Where to buy: www.nike.com
The Nike Trail Epic Luxe Running Shorts are the next pair on our list. These are a great option if you’re looking for a pair of compression-style running shorts (for a tight fit and body-hugging feel) which also have multiple secure pockets. Believe it or not, these shorts actually have a total of eight (yes, eight!) pockets – including two side pockets which are big enough to store your phone – so you’ll be sure to be able to take all of your items with you easily. They also feature Nike’s Dri-Fit technology to help wick away sweat from your skin and they have a silicone gripper at the leg hem helps keep them in place.
4) lululemon Speed Up Mid-Rise Lined Shorts
Where to buy: www.lululemon.com
The next option on our list are lululemon’s Speed Up Mid-Rise Lined Shorts. These shorts have a lightweight waistband and a built-in liner for extra coverage. They feature a secure, zip back pocket which can hold your phone, as well as connected gel pockets on the waistband. The liner is made from a lightweight, sweat-wicking and quick-drying material for maximum comfort. They’re available in a range of different colours to suit different tastes.
5) Under Armour Women’s UA Run Trail Shorts
Where to buy: www.underarmour.com
The final option on our list are Under Armour Women’s UA Run Trail Shorts. Another compression-style option, these shorts are made from light, stretchy and quick-drying material. They feature an expandable and secure zip pocket on the back of the waistband, as well as a side pocket which can hold your phone (as pictured above). They’re made from a four-way stretch fabric designed to help you move freely in every direction and are available in a couple of different colours.
Anything Else To Consider?
Getting the sizing right is obviously an important consideration when shopping for running shorts. Most brands will offer easy-to-use size guides on their official websites, but if you’re in doubt, it may be worth popping into your local sports store to try out a few pairs.
All of the shorts featured above have decent-sized secure pockets which should be able to hold your phone – but if you have a larger device, be sure to double check the dimensions of the pocket so that you can be sure it’ll fit.
It’s also a good idea to check the returns, refunds and exchanges policy of the site you’re shopping from, so that you’ll know where you stand if the shorts don’t fit or you decide you don’t like them for another reason.
Wrapping Things Up – Our Final Thoughts
So, that brings us to the end of our guide to the best running shorts for women with phone pockets.
We’ve walked you through some of the key considerations to bear in mind when shopping for running shorts, including the materials, style and pocket options.
We’ve also picked out five of the best options on the market right now from a range of brands. Nike’s Dri-Fit Run Division Tempo Luxe Shorts currently head our list, but all of the shorts featured on this page are excellent options.