Best Blue Light Blocking Glasses For Sleep in 2021
We pick out three of the leading brands of blue light blocking glasses to be worn at night before sleep
Blue light blocking glasses have become very popular recently. But what are your best options if you’re specifically looking to reduce your blue light exposure after dark just before going to sleep?
Blue light blocking glasses are nothing new. They’ve been around for quite a few years, and models that have been specifically designed for computer use are probably the most popular type around right now.
However, more recently, a newer type of blue light glasses that are specifically designed to be used after dark have emerged.
They typically feature red or dark orange lenses and block out much more blue light than the previous types designed for daytime computer use.
This type of lens is especially useful if you tend to stay up late after sunset and have a lot of exposure to artificial blue light after dark.
We’ve tested out loads of the leading blue light blocking glasses options and have put together this guide for sleep lenses using everything that we’ve found.
Editor's note: The content on this website is meant to be informative in nature, but it should not be taken as medical advice. Our articles and the products featured in them are not intended for use as diagnosis, prevention, and/or treatment of health problems. Always speak with a certified medical professional before making any changes to your lifestyle, diet, exercise routine, and/or taking any supplements.
So get ready to prepare for bed and wind down better using the best blue light glasses brands around.
This is your ultimate guide to the best blue light blocking glasses for sleep on the market right now.
If you’re looking for a more general guide to the top products, then be sure to check out our selection of the best blue light blocking glasses around right now.
Jump To Section
The Best Blue Light Blocking Glasses For Sleep in 2021
|TrueDark Twilight Classic||• Best For Night Use • Most Effective Lens • Leading Brand||Buy Now|
|Ra Optics Ultimate Night||• Stylish Frames • Leading Lenses • Get 10% Off||Buy Now|
|BLUblox Sleep+||• Lots Of Styles • High Quality • Get 10% Off||Buy Now|
|TrueDark Twilight Elite||• Aluminum Frames • Great Lenses • Premium Brand||Buy Now|
What We Looked For…
• Effectiveness – We tried and tested a large number of different brands to pick out the top ones featured on this list. We wanted to see for ourselves if we could notice the difference after having used them for a few nights in a row.
• The Right Lenses – There are a lot of blue light blocking glasses out there, but not all of them block out the correct frequencies of blue light after dark to be effective. We specifically only picked out products that filter out the important frequencies of blue light to be effective at night.
• Quality – We only considered brands that produce quality products that are build to last. After all, you’ll likely end up using them most nights. If you’re looking to save money, there are plenty of cheap options out there, but they probably won’t last you very long.
• Company Reputation – We only considered brands that have a good reputation for treating customers fairly. As well as trying out the glasses ourselves, we also explored the story of the companies to find out more about them and how they deal with things such as refunds and complaints.
Best Blue Light Blocking Glasses For Sleep
So, with the introductions our of the way, it’s time to start taking a close look at our pick of the best three blue light blocking glasses for nighttime use on the market right now.
1) TrueDark Twilight Classic
Product website: www.truedark.com
The top product on our list is the TrueDark Twilight Classic.
TrueDark are one of the leading brands out there when it comes to blue light blocking glasses and their Twilight Classic model is unrivalled when it comes to evening use.
The Twilight Classic feature dark red lenses with a wrap-around design, with foam padding at the top and bottom to help block out light coming from above and below.
What makes the Twilight Classics unrivalled is the fact that the lenses, which use patent-pending technology, block out 100 per cent of blue, green and violet light.
This means that they are ideal for use in the hours before going to bed to help your body know that it’s dark outside.
The Main Points
• Most Effective Lens For Evening Use – The Twilight Classic block out 100 per cent of blue, green and violet light to ensure that those frequencies do not cause you problems. We found them to be most beneficial when used at least two hours before going to bed.
• High Quality – The whole of the TrueDark range of blue blockers are made to the highest quality.
• Lightweight Frames – The Twilight Classic frames are made of lightweight plastic so they feel comfortable to wear.
• Like most of the products on this list, they carry a premium price tag. At $89, they are not cheap, but you can get 10% off if you use the code HUMANWINDOW at checkout on the official TrueDark website.
• It’s a shame that there are not more styles on offer. Although the Twilight Classic frames and lenses are great at blocking out blue light, we probably wouldn’t feel 100 per cent comfortable using them out and about.
The Bottom Line
The TrueDark Twilight Classic is our top pick if you’re looking for a pair of blue light blocking glasses for use before bed.
They are the perfect tool to help your body know that it’s dark outside and that it’s time to prepare for bed.
Simply put, we rate them as the best blue light blocking glasses for evening use out there at the moment, even if the frames are not the most stylish.
2) Ra Optics Ultimate Night
Product website (click for 10% discount): www.raoptics.com
The next product on our list is the excellent Ultimate Night lens from Ra Optics.
Ra Optics specialize in blue light blocking glasses that are specifically designed for nightime use.
The brand currently has a range of different styles, so you can get the look you’re after.
Importantly, the Ra Optics Ultimate Night lenses block out the key frequencies of blue light, so when you put them on, you’re letting your body know that it’s dark outside.
The Main Points
• Great For Evening Use – The Ra Optics Ultimate Night lenses block all light wavelengths up to 550 nanometers. This makes them ideal for use when it’s dark outside and in the hours before bed, when we are exposed to artificial light from multiple sources. We found them to be very beneficial when worn for at last two hours before bed.
• High Quality – All of the frames we tested from Ra Optics are really high quality and seem to be built to last.
• Multiple Styles – Ra Optics have a lot of different styles to choose from when it comes to finding one that will suit you. Lots of them are based on popular styles of sunglasses.
• 30 Day Returns Policy – They offer a 30-day no questions asked returns policy, so you can send your glasses back for a full refund or replacement pair within that timeframe if you’re not happy.
• They are a premium priced product, meaning that they may not fit into everyone’s budget. You can, however, get a 10% discount by clicking here and using the code HUMANWINDOW at checkout.
• You can currently only buy them from the official Ra Optics website, meaning that they are not available in stores or at sites such as Amazon.com or eBay.
The Bottom Line
After having tested several different brands ourselves, we rate the Ra Optics Ultimate Nights as one of the best pairs of blue light blocking glasses for sleep on the market right now.
The frames are high quality and come in several styles but most importantly, the lenses are effective at blocking out the key frequencies of blue light after sunset.
3) BLUblox Sleep+
Product website (click for 10% discount): www.blublox.com
The next brand on our list is the excellent BLUblox with their Sleep+ lens.
BLUblox an Australian company which has been gaining plenty of attention recently on social media thanks to their cool looking glasses.
The Sleep+ lens is their signature product designed for nighttime use and to block out the key frequencies of blue light after sunset.
The lens tints are almost identical to the Ra Optics Ultimate Night lenses in terms of the color and frequencies of light filtered.
The Main Points
• Great For Evening Use – The lenses are almost identical in color to the Ra Optics Ultimate Night. We found them to be very useful when worn a few hours before bed. You’ll notice that no blue light gets through them. That’s because they block 100% of blue and green light from 400 to 550 nanometers
• Wide Range Of Styles – BLUblox have one of the widest range of different styles we have found when it comes to blue light blocking glasses for sleep. There are 20 different options to choose from, so you’ll definitely be able to find one that suits your look.
• Fast Shipping and Good Quality – Despite shipping out of Australia, we received our pairs (to the UK) in less than a week. The frames and lenses are good quality and come complete with a protective box, pouch and cleaning cloth.
• Again, these are a premium priced product that may be out of some people’s price range. You can get 10% off if you buy directly from the BLUblox website and use the discount code TSR10 at checkout.
• At the time of writing, you can only buy the full BLUblox range of glasses on the official website.
The Bottom Line
The BLUblox Sleep+ glasses are an excellent option if you’re looking for some stylish blue blockers for nighttime use.
They have the biggest selection of any of the other brands when it comes to styles, and their Sleep+ lenses are highly effective at blocking out the key frequencies of light that you want to be avoiding after sunset.
4) TrueDark Twilight Elite
Product website: www.truedark.com
The next product on our list is the TrueDark Twilight Elite.
TrueDark was set up by the ‘father of biohacking’ Dave Asprey in the US and they are one of the main players in the market when it comes to quality blue light blocking glasses.
The Twilight Elites are one of their main offerings for lenses designed for use after sunset to let your body know that it’s dark outside.
What sets the TrueDark range apart from the other blue light blocking glasses makers out there right now is the fact that they use patent pending lenses.
The Main Points
• Patent Pending Lenses – What’s cool about the TrueDark range is that they use a patent-pending technology that uses pure solid colored lenses rather than a color tint painted over a clear lens.
• Effective For Evening Use – The Twilight Elites are designed for use after dark to let your body know that it’s nighttime and to help you prepare to wind down. The TrueDark Twilight Elites block out 98% of blue, green and violet wavelengths of light. This means they do let some more light in. If you’re looking for a TrueDark lens that blocks 100% of blue light, you may want to go for the Twilight Classic (which we will be reviewing soon).
• Fast Shipping – TrueDark is headquartered in the US but they offer fast worldwide shipping. Our glasses landed on our doorstep in the UK in less than a week after having ordered them.
• The main downside of the TrueDark range in our opinion is the limited choice of styles available. The main ones feature modern looking frames which are made out of aluminum, but there is not as much option as there are with the other brands on this list. This won’t be a problem if you’re not bothered about the look.
• Like the other products on this page, the TrueDark range is a premium-priced one. There are cheaper options out there, but if you go for one of them, you’ll likely be compromising on quality and durability.
The Bottom Line
We’re big fans of the TrueDark Twilight Elites. They feature patent pending lenses and effectively block 98% of blue, green and violet wavelengths of light.
The frames are high quality and the whole product is a premium one. The downsides are the premium price tag and the fact that there are not many different frame styles on offer right now.
How To Use Blue Light Blocking Glasses For Sleep
So, we’ve covered the basics about blue light blocking glasses and picked out our favorite brands out there right now. But how do you use them?
The first thing to do when you receive your pair of evening-use blue blocking glasses is to check the official website for instructions.
As you’ll already have noticed, the blue light blocking glasses on this page feature dark orange / red lenses which filter out a lot of light.
This is because they are designed to block out the key frequencies of blue and green light to help let your body know that it’s dark outside.
Importantly, they block out most of the bright blue light emitted from computer screens and devices, as well as most indoor artificial lighting.
Generally speaking, these kinds of glasses are designed to be worn in the hours before bed.
Some manufacturers suggest that you put them on as soon as the sun sets, while other say that wearing them about two hours before bed is optimal.
We tested all of the glasses featured on this page and found that wearing them around two hours before bed seemed to bring us the biggest benefit.
It’s always worth experimenting with different amounts of time to see which works best for you.
It also worth taking note of the time of the sunset where you are in the world, so you can plan accordingly.
Anything Else To Consider?
As all of the glasses featured on this list block out significant amounts of blue light, it’s important not to wear them while driving or operating heavy machinery.
They can make things appear very dark, so it’s always a good idea to ensure that you’ll be safe while wearing them.
The other thing to bear in mind is that you shouldn’t expect to see miracles just by wearing blue blocking glasses.
Yes, they do bring some significant benefits, but they will not solve your health and fitness problems on their own.
They are best used in conjunction with a healthy lifestyle, and that includes things such as diet, exercise and good quality sleep.
Best Blue Light Blocking Glasses For Sleep – Final Thoughts
So, that brings us to the end of our look at the leading blue light blocking glasses on the market right now.
We’ve walked you through how blue light blocking glasses can help your body to know that it’s dark outside and get ready for sleep.
We also picked out our top picks for the best blue light blocking glasses for sleep on the market right now after having tried them out ourselves.