Best Blue Light Blocking Glasses 2020 – Your Ultimate Guide
Your definitive guide to some of the best blue light blocking glasses brands on the market right now
Blue light blocking glasses are becoming increasingly popular as more and more people look for ways to reduce the effects of blue light at night or at other times of day.
If you’re reading this article, then you likely already know that seeing too much blue light at night is probably not good for us.
Blue light is everywhere these days. It’s emitted from devices like mobile phones, television and tablets, but it’s also found in a lot of ‘energy saving’ indoor lighting, such as LED and fluorescent lighting.
It’s so prevalent that unless you live in a cave, it’s pretty hard to avoid.
And that’s where blue light blocking glasses come in. They use lenses that have been specifically designed to block out the most prevalent frequencies of blue and green light.
What’s great about blue light blocking glasses is that they can block out the important frequencies of blue light while still allowing you to continue about your normal activities.
Blue light blocking glasses have been around for quite a few years, but they have a bit of a reputation for not being exactly stylish. Many of them look like safety goggles!
Fortunately, a number of popular brands have now started offering stylish blue blockers that feature sunglasses-like frames that you can feel comfortable wearing out and about.
Editor's note: The content on this website is meant to be informative in nature, but it should not be taken as medical advice. The content of our articles is not intended for use as diagnosis, prevention, and/or treatment of health problems. It’s always best to speak with your doctor or a certified medical professional before making any changes to your lifestyle, diet or exercise routine, or trying a new supplement.
This guide features the best blue light blocking glasses for 2020 that we’ve come across, from brands that we trust.
Jump To Section
Current Best Blue Light Blocking Glasses 2020
|BLUblox Sleep+||• Our Top Pick • Stylish Frames • Highest Quality • Get 10% Off||Buy Now|
|Ra Optics Ultimate Night||• Stylish Frames • Premium Product • Leading Lenses • Get 10% Off||Buy Now|
|TrueDark Twilight Classic||• Great For Sleep • Effective Lens • Leading Brand • Good Reviews||Buy Now|
|TrueDark Twilight Elite||• Aluminum Frames • Good Lenses • Premium Brand • Good Reviews||Buy Now|
|Swanwick Night Swannies||• Popular Brand • Nice Frames • Good Lenses • Expensive||Buy Now|
So, without further do, let’s take a closer look at our criteria for selecting the products on this list.
Here’s What We Looked For…
When compiling this list of the best blue blocking glasses, we looked specifically for the following criteria:
• Effectiveness – Do the glasses help when worn an hour or two before bed? There are different types of blue blockers out there, but this guide is mainly focused on the ones that are designed to be worn in the final hours before bed. If you’re specifically looking for nighttime only glasses, check out our dedicated best blue light blocking glasses for sleep guide.
• Style – Do the glasses look stylish? One problem with many of the early blue light blocking glasses to have hit the market is that they aren’t exactly stylish. We selected products that you would feel comfortable wearing out and about if necessary.
• Quality – Are the frames and lenses of high quality, and is the product durable overall? We only chose glasses made by brands who provide the highest quality frames and lenses.
• Company Reputation – We picked out companies that have a track record of creating great products. We also trawled through countless reviews online to make sure that they treat customers fairly.
Best Blue Light Blocking Glasses 2020
So, with the introductions out of the way, it’s time to reveal our pick of the best blue light blocking glasses on the market right now in the USA, UK and rest of the world.
1) BLUblox Sleep+
Product website (click for a 10% discount): www.blublox.com
The first product on our list is the excellent BLUblox Sleep+.
You may have already come across the BLUblox brand on social media sites such as Instagram, where they are creating quite a stir.
Their Sleep+ glasses are designed to be worn a few hours before bed to help with sleep by reducing your exposure to blue light after dark.
What we love about BLUblox is the awesome range of different styles on offer. They have a grand total of 20 different styles, plus they can even create custom blue blockers by taking an existing pair glasses you already own and converting them.
We are particularly big fans of the Willis frame, as it’s one of the most stylish ones we’ve come across.
We put the Sleep+ glasses on about two hours before bed and noticed that we started feeling sleepy within about an hour of wearing them.
All of BLUblox’s glasses come with a stylish case, lens wipe and carrying pouch.
When ordering your pair, the BLUblox website has a range of models wearing all of the various frames, so you can compare the looks to find one that suits you best.
The Key Points
• Effective Blue Blocking Lenses – The BLUblox Sleep+ lenses block out an effective 100 per cent of blue and green light from 400 to 550 nanometers. We found that they gave everything an orange tint, and blue colors became much darker and less visible.
• The Best On The Market – BLUblox currently offer the best range of blue blockers out there when it comes to effective sleep lenses available in a wide range of styles.
• Fast Worldwide Delivery – BLUblox is an Australian brand, but they offer fast worldwide delivery. We ordered our pair from the UK, and they took around four days to arrive on our doorstep.
• 30-day Returns Policy – They offer a 30-day no-quibbles return and exchange policy, providing the glasses are still in resalable condition. You can exchange for another pair or get a refund.
What Do The Customer Reviews Say?
The general feedback we found online about BLUblox was very positive, although because it is a new brand, there aren’t a huge amount of customer reviews out there yet.
Most people reported seeing the benefits from using them a few hours before bed, and the customer service seems to be very good.
There were a few issues with delivery that we came across, but the manufacturer appear to have addressed those with the customers directly.
• The whole BLUblox range carries a premium price tag. That means that these glasses may not fit into everyone’s budget.
• You can only buy BLUblox glasses directly from the manufacturer on the official website at the moment. That means that you won’t find them in stores or elsewhere online at places like Amazon or eBay.
We currently rate the BLUblox Sleep+ range as the best blue light blocking glasses for nighttime use on the market right now.
They use effective lenses that block out all blue and green light from 400 to 550 nanometers, and there is a range of styles on offer to suit all tastes.
2) Ra Optics Ultimate Night
Product website (click for a 10% discount): www.raoptics.com
The next product on our list is the awesome Ultimate Night range from Ra Optics.
The lenses are practically identical in color to the BLUblox range, and they have seven adult frames on sale at the moment.
Ra Optics was founded a few years back by Matt Maruca, who is a regular guest on wellness podcasts thanks to his in-depth knowledge about light and health.
We tried out the Popp Ultimate Night frames (pictured above) and found them to have the same impressive effect as the BLUblox range.
We’re big fans of Ra Optics. The frames are made to high quality standards and the lenses have the desired effect of blocking out the most important ranges of blue and green light.
Every pair of Ra Optics glasses comes with a cool protective case and a microfiber cloth for keeping the lens clean.
The Key Points
• Quality Frames – The quality of the Ra Optics lenses is really good. On the Popp frames, a nice additional feature is that the hinges snap into place when you open them.
• Effective Lenses – Like the BLUblox Sleep+ range, the Ra Optics Ultimate Night lenses block all light wavelengths up to 550 nanometers.
• Fast Worldwide Shipping – Ra Optics are based in the USA, but they ship worldwide and have a premium delivery options available if you want your glasses fast.
• 30-day Returns Policy – Ra Optics offer hassle-free returns and exchanges within 30 days of you receiving your glasses. You can either get a different pair or a refund if you’re not happy.
What Do The Customer Reviews Say?
The Ra Optics range of blue blockers are currently only available at the official website, meaning that we weren’t able to check out reviews on other sites like Amazon.
We took a look on social media to see what people were saying and the feedback seemed to be pretty positive.
Like with most online shops, there were one or two problems with delivery, but there were no follow-ups from the customers, so we assume these got sorted out.
• Premium price. There’s no getting away from the fact that the whole Ra Optics range carries a premium price tag. If you’re looking for the best blue blockers, you should be prepared to pay a bit extra.
• Only available from official website. The whole Ra Optics range is only available on the official site. That means you won’t find them on Amazon or elsewhere online, which is a shame.
The Ra Optics Ultimate Night blue blockers are a great option if you’re looking for some premium glasses to wear at night.
Both the lenses and the frames are excellent, and wearing them a few hours before bed really made a difference for us.
3) TrueDark Twilight Classic
Product website: www.truedark.com
Next on our list is the TrueDark Twilight Classic.
TrueDark are one of the leading brands out there when it comes to blue light blocking glasses and their Twilight Classic model is unrivalled when it comes to nighttime use.
The Twilight Classic feature dark red lenses with a wrap-around design, with foam padding at the top and bottom to help block out light coming from above and below.
What makes the Twilight Classics unrivalled is the fact that the lenses, which use patent-pending technology, block out 100 per cent of blue, green and violet light.
This means that they are ideal for use in the hours before going to bed to help your body know that it’s dark outside.
The Main Points
• Most Effective Night Lens – The Twilight Classic block out 100 per cent of blue, green and violet light to ensure that those frequencies do not interfere with your body clock. We found them to be incredibly beneficial when used at least two hours before going to bed.
• High Quality – The whole of the TrueDark range of blue blockers are made to the highest quality.
• Lightweight Frames – The Twilight Classic frames are made of lightweight plastic so they feel comfortable to wear.
What Are Customers Saying?
The TrueDark brand seems to have a good reputation amongst customers. They have had lots of feedback on social media from people who use their products, and they were one of the first blue light blocking glasses brands to hit the market.
The Twilight Classics have good reviews from the research we have done online. Many people report that these glasses have become a regular part of their nighttime routine to help them prepare for bed.
• Like most of the products on this list, they carry a premium price tag. At $89, they are not cheap, but you can get 10% off if you use the code HUMANWINDOW at checkout on the official TrueDark website.
• It’s a shame that there are not more styles on offer. Although the Twilight Classic frames are incredibly effective, we probably wouldn’t feel 100 per cent comfortable using them out and about.
• The lenses are also very dark, so they are probably not suitable for use when you need to be seeing things clearly.
The Bottom Line
The TrueDark Twilight Classic is a great option if you’re looking for a pair of blue light blocking glasses for use before bed.
They are a great tool to help your body know that it’s dark outside and that it’s time to prepare for bed, even if the frames are not the most stylish.
4) TrueDark Twilight Elite
Product website: www.truedark.com
The next product on our list is also made by TrueDark. This time, it’s the TrueDark Twilight Elite.
The Twilight Elites are designed to be worn before bed and feature a red lens which blocks out most blue light.
They feature a slightly more stylish design than the Twilight Classics, and the frames are very high quality.
The whole TrueDark range is extremely high quality, featuring premium frames and state-of-the-art lenses.
Every pair of TrueDark glasses comes in a high quality box featuring a protective case and microfiber cloth.
The Key Points
• Great Lenses – The Twilight Elite use lenses that block out 98 per cent of blue, green and violet wavelengths of light. This means that not all blue light is blocked (but most of it is).
• Top Quality Frames – The frames are made of lightweight aircraft-grade aluminum and they have a very sturdy feel to them. You’ll notice the quality as soon as you take them out of the box for the first time.
• Nose Pads – The Twilight Elites come with a nose pad for added comfort. If you’re not a fan of it, it can be removed with a small screwdrive.
• Fast Worldwide Shipping – Like all of the products on this list, TrueDark offer fast worldwide shipping. They are based in the USA, but it took only a few days for our pair to arrive in the UK, although there was a small customs charge to pay.
What Do The Customer Reviews Say?
The customer reviews of the whole TrueDark range is pretty positive.
We took a look on Amazon to see what real customers were saying, and the Twilight Elites had an average rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars, which is pretty good going.
One person left a very positive review and simply said “they seriously work, you’ll notice the difference”.
• Just like the products above on this list, the TrueDark ranges carries a premium price tag. They are one of the market leaders when it comes to blue blocker glasses.
• There is not really the same choice of frame styles when compared to Ra Optics and BLUblox, which is a bit disappointing. You’ll have to hope that one of the few styles does suit you.
The TrueDark Twilight Elites are a great option if you’re looking for a pair of high quality blue blockers that have a premium feel to them.
The only main drawback is the limited choices when it comes to the frame styles in our opinion.
5) Swanwick Night Swannies
Product website: www.swanwicksleep.com
The next brand on our list is the Swanwick Sleep Night Swannies range.
Swanwick has been around for a few years now and they pride themselves on making high quality blue light blocking glasses for evening use.
Their Night Swannies range features a wide selection of different stylish frames to suit your needs.
The Key Points
• Great Selection of Frames – There are plenty of stylish frames to choose from, so you’ll be sure to find one that suits you.
• Blue Blocking Lenses – The Night Swannies feature dark orange lenses which are designed to block out some frequencies of blue light. Unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be any information as to what frequencies are actually blocked.
• Fast Worldwide Shipping – Like all of the products on this list, Swanwick Sleep offer fast worldwide shipping, so you can expect to receive your new glasses in a few days.
What Do The Customer Reviews Say?
We took a look on Amazon to see what real customers were saying about Night Swannies.
The product had an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars from a grand total of 550 reviews, which is pretty impressive.
Generally speaking, the feedback seems to be positive.
• They may not block out all blue light. It’s a bit disappointing that there’s no information about the actual wavelengths of light blocked out by the Night Swannies lenses on the official website.
• They carry a premium price tag. They are more expensive than some of the other options out there right now.
Night Swannies are a good option if you’re looking to land some high quality blue light blocking glasses.
They offer a range of good frames and the lenses seem to be decent, although we’d like more information about the actual wavelengths of light that are blocked.
Why Use Blue Light Blocking Glasses?
This article has mainly focused on blue light blocking glasses that have been specifically designed to help with sleep, although we did include one option for use with computers and indoor artificial lighting.
But why exactly would you even want to consider blocking out blue light at night?
Simply put, our human ancestors were not exposed to blue light after sunset for most of history. When you think about it, the only light sources available to early humans would have been from fire and from moonlight.
The invention of the electric lightbulb changed all that, as we started to extend our evenings.
The addition of mobile phones and computers to our everyday lives, along with the deployment of bright artificial indoor lighting at home and in offices, means that it’s basically impossible to escape blue light after dark these days.
Blue light blocking glasses offer a simple way to filter out the worst frequencies of blue light, while still allowing us to continue with our day-to-day activities.
By wearing nighttime blue blockers after sunset, you’re allowing your body clock to stay in tune with the sun-up, sun-down process which regulates our circadian rhythm (body clock).
As we mentioned above, we usually start to feel sleepy within an hour of putting on the BLUblox or Ra Optics night lenses.
How To Use Blue Light Blocking Glasses At Night
Nighttime blue light blocking glasses are designed to tell your body that it’s dark outside and to prepare to go to sleep.
When you put them on is up to you. We recommend experimenting to find the ideal time for you, as it does tend to vary from person to person.
We found that putting them on around two hours before going to bed seemed to work pretty well, but everyone is slightly different in that regard.
Some people prefer to put them on as soon as the sun goes down, so you are effectively keeping your body aligned with the sun’s cycle.
It’s important to note that you should never drive or operate machinery while wearing any blue light blocking glasses. This is because they make things pretty dark, and therefore unsafe for those kinds of activities.
Anything Else To Consider?
Blue blocking glasses are a really awesome tool for helping to regulate your circadian rhythm and reduce the effects of blue light. When used correctly, they can really make a big difference.
However, good health requires a multi-action approach. You should always make sure that you’re sticking to a good diet, getting enough quality sleep and exercising regularly for a healthy lifestyle overall.
Blue blockers can make a big difference – but you shouldn’t expect them to work miracles if you’re not also taking care of your health from other perspectives.
Best Blue Light Blocking Glasses – Final Thoughts
So, that brings us to the end of our look at the very best blue light blocking glasses on the market right now.
The Ra Optics Ultimate Day lenses are also a great choice if you’re looking for some blue light blocking glasses for computer use.
But you’re not going to go too far wrong by selecting any of the glasses featured on this page.