The Best Creatine Supplements In The UK In 2021
Picking the best creatine supplement can help to support you on your fitness journey. Here's everything you need to know
Creatine is one of the most popular types of sports and fitness supplements on the market today.
If you’re looking to support your gym and workout goals, then using creatine from time to time can help to support you on your fitness journey.
You probably already know that creatine is one of the most extensively-researched sports supplements out there, and there have been countless studies conducted into its effects.
Before we go any further, it’s important to point out that supplements are not intended to replace a varied diet and a healthy overall lifestyle.
The clue really is in the name – supplements are supposed to supplement a healthy diet and lifestyle, not replace one.
In this guide, we’re going to be taking a look at our pick of some of the leading creatine supplements available to buy in the UK market right now.
We’re going to take a look at creatine as a supplement and examine some of its benefits, and also bring you our pick of the best products.
Editor's note: The content on this website is meant to be informative in nature, but it should not be taken as medical advice. The content of our articles and the products featured in them are not intended for use as diagnosis, prevention, and/or treatment of health problems. Always speak with your doctor or a certified medical professional before making any changes to your lifestyle, diet or exercise routine, or taking any supplements.
So, with the introductions out of the way, let’s begin taking a closer look at some of the important things to bear in mind when it comes to creatine as a supplement.
Jump To Section
Best Creatine UK – Top Three Picks
|Performance Lab SPORT Maintain||• Cleanest Quality • 3g Creapure • Added Beta-Alanine • Vegan Friendly||Buy Now|
|Myprotein Creatine Monohydrate Elite||• 3g Creatine • Clean Formula • Flavours Available • Popular Brand||Buy Now|
|Bulk Powders Creatine Monohydrate Powder||• 5g Creatine • Good Value • Popular Brand • Vegan Friendly||Buy Now|
Why Take A Creatine Supplement?
As you probably already know, creatine is one of the most popular forms of fitness supplements on the market.
Creatine can be found in some foods, and most commonly in some dairy products, as well as meat and fish. However, some people choose to use a creatine supplement to top up their intake from other dietary sources.
As well as being sold on its own in tablet and powder form, it’s also sometimes added to other types of gym supplements such as pre workouts and post workouts.
Editor's note: The health claims about the ingredients mentioned in this article are listed as authorised on the EU Register at the time of publishing.
The reason why it’s such a popular supplement is because it has some pretty promising research behind it.
It is known that creatine increases physical performance in successive bursts of short-term, high intensity exercise. This beneficial effect is seen when creatine is consumed in a daily amount of 3g.
The above claim is approved for use in Europe alongside foods or supplements that contain at least 3g of creatine per daily serving.
There are also countless studies into the potential benefits of creatine when it comes to supporting your training and gym goals. For this reason, a creatine supplement is often a popular choice amongst gym goers for use after their workout sessions.
As is the case with most supplements, creatine could cause side effects for some people. For this reason, it’s always best to speak to your doctor or a certified medical professional before taking a new supplement.
Things To Look For In A Creatine Supplement
Not all supplements are created equal. And although creatine is generally one of the most affordable types of sports and fitness supplements around, it’s worth keeping a close eye on the label of any product you’re thinking of taking.
• Amount Of Creatine – Firstly, it’s worth carefully checking the label to know exactly how much creatine will be provided in each serving. As we mentioned above, if you’re taking creatine as a supplement around your workouts, you’ll generally be wanting a supplement that contains at least 3g of creatine per serving.
• Type Of Creatine – Creatine Monohydrate is probably the most popular form of creatine supplement out there in the fitness supplement world. We chose only products that use the form of Creatine Monohydrate in this buying guide.
• Other Ingredients – It’s also worth looking through the ingredients list to see what else is included. Some manufacturers choose to pair the creatine with other ingredients which could bring beneficial effects, while other products feature only creatine and nothing else.
• Clean Label – Generally speaking, it’s best to go for supplements that use little to no ‘filler’ or unnecessary ingredients. The cleaner the label, the better. If your creatine supplement comes as a flavoured powder, it’s worth checking what ingredients and sweeteners are used.
• The Brand – We always recommend that you do some of your own research into any supplement you’re thinking of taking. That involves reading up about the brand behind the product. Do they treat customers fairly and do they have a good reputation online? Finding this information out early on can help prevent against disappointment further down the line.
• No Proprietary Blends – We specifically only selected products that transparently reveal the entire ingredients label. This means that none of the supplements featured on this list use proprietary blends to hide the doses of certain ingredients. Each of the products featured below have clear ingredients labels, so you’ll know exactly what you’re taking.
Best Creatine Supplements – Our Pick
So, now that we’ve covered some of the main things to bear in mind when it comes to creatine supplements, it’s time to move on to our pick of some of the best options in the UK right now.
1) Performance Lab SPORT Maintain
Product website: www.performancelab.com
The first product on our list is Performance Lab SPORT Maintain.
This is a great option if you’re looking for an easy-to-take capsule-form creatine supplement that has a clean label and is also vegan friendly.
The whole Performance Lab range of supplements feature very clean labels, and their Maintain product contains 3000mg of Creapure per serving.
The main ingredient is also paired with the essential mineral Iron, along with a branded form of Beta-Alanine called SR Carnosyn.
The only two other ingredients are the vegan-friendly capsule made from Pullulan, and Rice Concentrate.
• 3g of Creapure per serving
• Easy to swallow capsules
• Uses Iron and Beta-Alanine
• Clean label and vegan friendly
• Premium price tag
• Only available to buy on the official website
We’re big fans of the Performance Lab range of supplements and Maintain is a great option if you’re looking for a cleanly-formulated creatine supplement with added Iron and Beta-Alanine. The vegan-friendly capsules are easy to swallow and each bottle contains 60 capsules.
2) Myprotein Creatine Monohydrate Elite
Product website: www.myprotein.com
Next on our list is the Creatine Monohydrate Elite supplement by Myprotein.
Myprotein are one of the biggest names in the supplements industry in the UK and Europe and they are well known for their reasonably priced products.
The Creatine Monohydrate Elite supplement comes in a powder form and a one kilogram bag. The marketing material on the Myprotein website says that this supplement has been batch tested by Informed-Sport.
The main ingredient is, you guessed it, Creatine Monohydrate. This supplement is available in an unflavoured version, which does not contain any sweeteners.
If you prefer mixing your creatine into water or using it in your usual protein shake, then this might be the right supplement for you.
• Trusted brand
• 3g Creatine Monohydrate per serving
• Batch tested by Informed-Sport
• Unflavoured version does not use sweeteners
• There is no mention of whether the supplement is vegan friendly on the official website
We’re big fans of Myprotein’s sports supplements and their Creatine Monohydrate Elite product offers a no-nonsense option if you’re looking for a high quality, powder-form creatine supplement to support your gym and fitness goals.
3) Bulk Powders Creatine Monohydrate Powder
Product website: www.bulk.com
Next up is the main value-for-money creatine supplement offering from Bulk Powders.
Bulk Powders are well known as one of the leading supplement manufacturers in the UK and Europe, and they are especially popular thanks to the excellent value for money they offer on a lot of their products.
Their Creatine Monohydrate supplement contains the all-important ingredient, and if you go for the unflavoured version, nothing else at all.
The supplement is available in an unflavoured version along with two other options – Apple & Lime and Mixed Berry. The flavoured options use the sweetener Sucralose to enhance taste.
The Bulk Powders Creatine Monohydrate supplement comes in three different bag sizes: 100g, 500g and 1kg. It is also both Vegan and Vegetarian friendly.
• Popular brand
• Great value for money
• 100g, 500g and 1kg sizes available
• Flavoured options available
• Unflavoured option only contains Creatine Monohydrate
• Flavoured options use the sweetener Sucralose
If you’re looking for a straight and simple creatine supplement, then the unflavoured offering from Bulk Powders may be a good choice for you. The only slight downsides of this supplement are that the flavoured versions use the sweetener Sucralose, which may not suit some people.
Anything Else To Consider?
As we mentioned at the start of this article, it’s important to remember that supplements are not intended to replace a varied diet and a healthy overall lifestyle.
Generally speaking, it’s usually best to go for real food sources over supplements where possible.
It’s also important to remember not to regard supplements as ‘magic’ pills or powders that will work with little to no effort on your part. Supplements should be considered as an addition to an already effective and healthy training and nutrition plan.
We always recommend speaking to your doctor or a certified medical professional before making any changes to your diet, lifestyle or trying a new supplement for the first time.
Wrapping Things Up – Our Final Thoughts
So, that brings us to the end of our look at the best creatine supplements on sale in the UK at the moment.
We’ve walked you through the key things to know about creatine as a sports supplement, including some of the benefits it can bring to the table with regards to exercise performance and more.
Creatine is a popular sports supplement which is commonly used by gym goers to support their training goals. As well as being present in some dairy products, meat and fish, creatine is an extensively-researched standalone supplement that has been shown to bring a number of exercise-related benefits to the table.
We have also picked out our selection of the top creatine supplements on sale in the UK right now, ranging from capsule-form products to powders.
We currently rate the products on this page as among the best options when it comes to creatine supplements in the UK right now. Performance Lab SPORT Maintain is currently our top choice, but you’re unlikely to go too far wrong by selecting any of the other supplements featured on this page.