With ingredients backed by research to help with the typical hangover symptoms, these new supplements, combined with the usual rituals such as keeping hydrated and eating before you go out, are key to preventing bad hangovers.
Eager to find out more, we tested out a number of hangover cure products to highlight exactly what you should be looking for when choosing the best supplement to help take the edge off the night before.
|AfterDrink||★★★★★||• Best Formula • Proven Ingredients • Great Reviews||Buy Now|
|RU21||★★★★☆||• Uses B Vitamins • Contains Glucose • Good Reviews||Buy Now|
|Nuday||★★★☆☆||• Uses Caffeine • Low Price • Buy on Amazon||Buy Now|
|Hang Dr||★★★☆☆||• Newer Product • Solid Ingredients • Reasonable Price||Buy Now|
|Phizz||★★★☆☆||• For Rehydration • Used For Sport • Strong Brand||Buy Now|
We’ve all experienced those unproductive lazy weekends in our life as we nurture our hangovers. It’s a normal part of life.
But as we get older, we all feel the effects even more. It’s time to take back our Sundays!
If you’re struggling with hangovers, and the usual rehydration tactics are not working for you, a hangover supplement could be exactly what you’ve been missing.
First things first, there is no such thing as a ‘hangover cure’, but adding a quality supplement packed with antioxidants, vitamins and minerals will certainly speed up the hangover recovery process and get you feeling back to normal more quickly.
The science behind hangover supplements are based around boosting your liver’s ability to detoxify and eliminate the harmful by-products of alcohol.
Antioxidants are key to achieving this because they provide your liver with the raw ingredients it needs to maximise its ability to digest alcohol efficiently and clear the waste products more quickly.
Does the product actually work and live up to the hype? There are a lot of claims out there and it’s hard to sieve through the facts. We have based our summaries on genuine reviews and have tested the products.
Are there any ingredients that can have unwanted side effects? The hangover tablets we reviewed only contain natural ingredients with no medicines. However, even some herbal remedies can sometimes cause side-effects and interact with medications.
We looked into the side-effect profiles of each ingredient to pick out the ones that could cause problems.
We made sure to select companies with a good track-record. Do they treat their customers fairly as well as making sure the quality of ingredients are up to scratch?
A good hangover supplement will:
• Reduce symptoms of nausea – Anti-sickness ingredients are key.
• Boost energy levels – Bounce back and be more efficient with your day.
• Help with ‘brain fog’ – Improve mental clarity.
With the introductions out of the way, let’s now take a close look at best hangover supplements on the market right now.
Product website: www.afterdrink.com
AfterDrink is the best all-round hangover supplement we found on the market right now.
It’s the only product we found which contains the essential vitamins, minerals and amino acids that your body needs to recover from a night out.
Using ingredient such as Ginger Extract, Turmeric and L-Theanine, it’s been specifically formulated to help you bounce back and feel at your best as quickly as possible after a heavy drinking session.
• Ginger Extract – A natural anti-sickness remedy which has been used for hundreds of years and is still prescribed by doctors to help with morning sickness today. Its nausea busting properties are undisputed and is an essential ingredient in natural hangover tablets
• B Vitamins – High dose B vitamins boosts your livers ability to break down alcohol at a faster rate. Higher doses of B vitamins are usually required to have this effect and is safe to take because its a water soluble vitamin. This means that any excess isn’t harmful to your body as your kidneys will get rid of it in your urine.
• Turmeric – Turmeric extract is gaining a lot of popularity recently in health shops for its potent anti-inflammatory properties. Exactly what you need to settle the headache caused by hangovers.
• Black Pepper Extract – Black pepper extract has also been shown to increase the absorption of turmeric by 2000% and so is an essential addition to any supplement containing turmeric.
• N-Acetyl-Cysteine – This amino acid is used in hospitals to reverse the effects of paracetamol. It has hugely powerful anti-oxidant capabilities to help your liver neutralise the by-products of alcohol breakdown.
Overall it contains 25 ingredients to tackle hangovers from all angles. A full list of them is available below:
How to take it
Each bottle is enough to cover eight nights out.
The directions are pretty straight forward. You take three capsules before bed after a night out, and three again in the morning upon waking.
What are people saying about it?
The majority of the reviews for AfterDrink are positive, with a lot of emphasis on how its great for reducing the headache and nausea after a night of drinking.
There were quite a few reviews of AfterDrink on Amazon when we took a look. It has an average rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
One person said that it was the only ‘hangover supplement’ that had ever worked for them.
Someone else said that helped them to feel more energised the next day after a night out of drinking.
There were inevitably some negative reviews as well, with some people claiming that it didn’t work for them. It’s not clear if they used this product as directed or not, however.
• It’s premium priced at £22 for a bottle. They do offer discounts if you buy more than one bottle direct from the official website.
• You have to take a total of 6 capsules per night out. The most important dose to take is the one before bed after your night out, which could be difficult to remember if you’ve had a few too many at happy hour.
Product website: www.ru21.co.uk
Also known as the KGB pill, RU21 is based on a natural Russian remedy.
With eight ingredients in total, RU21 contains, B vitamins, NAC, Vitamin C, Alpha Lipoic Acid and Glucose. It definitely covers a good range of the core ingredients.
RU21 does contain a large serving of Glucose per serving, which can be very helpful as alcohol is known to drop your blood sugar, but it can also push up your daily calorie intake.
What are people saying about it?
This is a well-established hangover pill and has been around for a few years. There are lots of positive reviews.
How to take it
The website suggests that you take 2 tablets before your first drink and 2 after your last drink. It also suggests that you can take up to 2 tablets after every drink.
• The addition of glucose to its ingredients will turn some people away especially if trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
• Doesn’t show how much of each ingredient is contained in the tablets, which makes it hard to judge effectiveness.
Product website: www.amazon.co.uk
If you’ve spent all your money on the actual alcohol and night out itself, then this is the supplement for you.
From only £6.55 on Amazon, Nu-Day is by far the cheapest on the market. However, because of the low cost, it only contains some of the core ingredients.
It also contains a high amount of Caffeine, which can give you a boost in the morning, but can also prompt side effects such as the jitters or energy crashes later in the day.
Product website: www.hangdr.co.uk
HangDr is also a relatively new product on the market and has a good list of ingredients, including Acai Berry Extract and Green Tea Extract, both of which can help to settle anxiety when hungover.
It’s also the only product here listed in Holland & Barrett in the United Kingdom.
This seems to be a well-rounded product with most of the ingredients you need.
It’s also reasonably priced at £19.99 a bottle, but we did find quite a few negative reviews online.
Product website: www.phizz.co
These are effervescent tablets which are actually mainly used for sports rehydration purposes.
However, we like the product as a whole and thought it deserves a mention in our list as it can also help with hangovers.
We all know that dehydration is one of the main driving forces behind a hangover, so stocking up on rehydration tablets can also have an added benefit.
We actually found that combining Phizz with AfterDrink after a night out gave us the best overall results.
As we always say, no supplements should ever be considered as a ‘magic pill’ no matter how much hype there is around it.
We always like to remind our readers that you should always apply common sense before trying any kind of new supplement.
With hangover supplements, that means making sure that you drink plenty of water before going to bed after a night out, and also eating some food before hitting the town.
If you’re already making sensible choices, then adding a quality natural hangover supplement to your regimen can indeed make a big difference the next day.
So, that wraps up our guide to the best hangover supplements on the market right now.
We’re always keen to learn about new supplement categories and these certainly form part of a new breed of product, which we’re predicting will end up being very popular indeed.
Our top pick is AfterDrink, however we also recommend you combine this with a rehydration tablet to cover all bases.
MORE: The latest football news
MORE: The latest tennis news
BIOGRAPHY: Daniel Sturridge
BIOGRAPHY: Kepa Arrizabalaga