Best Pre Workout Supplements for Women in 2020 – Five Top Picks
We pick out five of the best pre workout for women supplements on the market at the moment
Welcome to our guide to some of the best pre workouts for women on the market at the moment.
UPDATE: We’ve updated this guide with the latest information and pre workouts for 2020. We currently rate Powher as one of the best pre workouts for women available right now. We’ll be reviewing and updating this page with the latest information throughout the year.
The health and fitness industry has exploded in recent years and never has there been more emphasis on the importance of regular exercise for helping to maintain overall health.
Pre workout supplements are products which are designed to be consumed before training, to ensure that you are getting the most out of your time spent exercising.
They are food supplements which usually contain a range of different ingredients, including vitamins, minerals, plant extracts, and sometimes stimulants such as Caffeine.
As ever, it’s important to remember that food supplements should not be used as a substitute for a varied and balanced diet. They’re designed to be combined with a healthy overall lifestyle.
Editor's note: The content on this website is meant to be informative in nature, but it should not be taken as medical advice. The content of our articles is not intended for use as diagnosis, prevention, and/or treatment of health problems. It’s always best to speak with your doctor or a certified medical professional before making any changes to your diet or exercise routine, or trying a new supplement.
So, with the introductions out of the way, let’s kick off our buying guide to some of the best pre workout for women supplements on sale at the moment. Remember that you can also check out our main best pre workout supplement guide for both guys and girls.
Jump To Section
Best Pre Workout For Women – Five Of Our Top Picks
|Powher||★★★★☆||• Made for Women • 1g Beta-Alanine • Vitamins B6 & B12 • Vegan Friendly||Buy Now|
|SPORT Pre-Workout||★★★★☆||• Capsule Form • 1g Creatine • Vegan Friendly • No Sweeteners||Buy Now|
|4 Gauge||★★★★☆||• 150mg Caffeine • 200mg L-Theanine • 1g Creatine • Good Reviews||Buy Now|
|Stim Free Pre Workout||★★★☆☆||• No Caffeine • 6g Citrulline Malate • 4g Beta-Alanine • GMO Free||Buy Now|
|Elevate||★★★☆☆||• 5g Citrulline Malate • 200mg Caffeine • 2.5g Taurine • UK/Europe Only||Buy Now|
Why Use A Pre Workout?
As we mentioned above, the health and fitness industry is truly booming, and the idea behind a good pre workout supplement is to help give you a bit of a boost to support your training.
Supplements in this category usually either come in a powder or capsule form, and they are designed to be taken about 30 minutes before starting your exercise session.
They contain a range of ingredients, including things like Caffeine, plant extracts, and some essential vitamins and minerals.
A good pre workout supplement will:
• Support your training – With the right ingredients
• Include Vitamins and Minerals – To support important bodily functions
• Help you to achieve your goals – Train harder, get better results
What We Looked For
The fitness supplements industry is probably as popular as it’s ever been right now.
Unfortunately, although there are a lot of great products out there, there are also lots of below-par supplements on sale these days.
The aim of this article is to make it easy for you to pick a top supplement, but let’s first fill you in on the basics behind how pre workouts work, and some things you should look out for.
Pre workouts typically contain a small dose of ingredients such as Caffeine, to support you during periods of exercise. We found that lots of supplements tend to overdo it on the Caffeine. We recommend to look for a product with no more than 150mg of caffeine per serving. This is about the same amount that you’d expect to find in a strong cup of coffee.
A good pre workout will also contain other types of ingredients, including vitamins, minerals and amino acids. Some products also use plant extracts.
Here are some of the most important ingredients to look for in a pre workout supplement:
• Citrulline Malate
• B Vitamins
• Red Beet Extract
Ideally, you’ll also want a product that tastes good as well. Powder form pre workout supplements are usually designed to be mixed with water and consumed around half an hour before training.
If you’re going to be taking this kind of supplement regularly, you’ll obviously want it to taste good. That being said, some products come in capsule form, so the taste is not something to consider with them.
Of course, you’ll also want to be sure that the product doesn’t contain any banned or risky ingredients. Ideally, you want the ingredients formula to be as clean as possible.
Best Pre Workouts for Women 2020 – Five Of The Best
Taking into account all of the criteria above, we’ve picked out the five best pre workouts for women on sale right now.
So, with the introductions out of the way, let’s get down to business and reveal our selection of some of the best pre workouts for women around at the moment.
Product website: www.powherofficial.com
The first product on our list is called Powher. It’s a pre workout for women that has been specifically formulated with females in mind.
It’s made by the specialist UK-based company Ultimate Life, who are also behind the popular female-focused supplement Leanbean.
Powher comes in a ‘Pink Lemonade’ flavor and contains a selection of specifically-selected ingredients without overdoing it on the Caffeine.
We like the clean branding and the fact that the ingredients label is clean and clear.
It doesn’t use a proprietary blend, meaning that we know the exact doses of ingredients used in each serving.
The Main Points
• Made for women – One of the few pre workouts designed with females in mind.
• Key Vitamins – Uses Vitamins B6 and B12, plus Pantothenic Acid.
• Get more out of your workouts – Formulated to help you reach your goals.
• Simple to use – Just mix one 10g scoop with water 30 minutes before your workout.
• Vegan and Vegetarian Friendly – Powher doesn’t use any animal products. It’s also non-GMO and gluten free.
Powher uses a lot of the common ingredients found in the best pre workout supplements. Let’s take a look at the main ones:
• Vitamins B6 and B12 – We like that Powher contains some B Vitamins in its formula. Many pre workouts don’t bother with any vitamins at all. In case you didn’t know, Vitamins B6 and B12 both contribute to the reduction of tiredness and fatigue and normal energy release.
• Pantothenic Acid – Also known as Vitamin B5, Pantothenic Acid contributes to normal energy release and normal mental performance.
• Natural Caffeine – Powher contains 100mg of ‘natural’ Caffeine from Green Coffee Bean Extract. This is about the same amount you’d expect to find in a strong cup of coffee.
• L-Citrulline Malate – As found in many other pre workout supplements, L-Citrulline Malate is an amino acid. It’s a common ingredient and Powher uses two grams per serving.
• OxyJun – This is a branded form of Terminalia Arjuna Bark extract. Each serving of Powher contains 400mg of OxyJun.
• RedNite – This is another branded ingredient in the Powher formula. It is essentially beetroot powder (Beta Vulgaris Root Extract). Each serving of Powher contains 500mg of RedNite.
• Taurine – An ingredient common in commercially available energy drinks. Each serving of Powher uses 2.5 grams of Taurine.
• Beta-Alanine – Another common ingredient in pre workout supplements. Each serving of Powher uses 1 gram of Beta-Alanine.
Here is the full ingredients list of the Powher pre workout as written on the actual box:
How To Take It
The directions simply state that you should mix one 10g scoop with around 250ml of water, 30 minutes before starting your workout. This should allow enough time for the Caffeine to ‘kick in’.
If you’re sensitive to Caffeine, it may be worth experimenting with half a scoop to begin with to assess your tolerance.
Price and Where To Buy
One tub of Powher contains 20 servings and currently costs around $45 / £35 / €39.
If you’re looking to save some money, they do offer multi-box discounts on the official website. If you go for their ‘Ultimate Powher Pack’, you’ll get four tubs with free delivery for $149 / £110 / €117.
Powher ships worldwide and is manufactured in FDA registered facilities.
One slight downside is that you can’t buy Powher in stores at the moment. You can only order it directly from the manufacturer on the official website. That means you won’t find Powher on Amazon or at other stores like GNC.
• It only comes in one flavor, called ‘Pink Lemonade’.
• It’s one of the more expensive pre workouts on the market right now, meaning that it may not fit into everyone’s budget, and you only get 20 servings per tub.
• You can only buy it directly from the manufacturer on the official website at the moment.
Powher is a well-formulated pre workout for women.
It contains some common ingredients such as Citrulline Malate, Vitamins B6 and B12, Taurine and Beta-Alanine. It’s also suitable for Vegans and Vegetarians, and is Non-GMO.
The only slight downsides are that it’s a premium-priced supplement and you can only buy it directly from the manufacturer at the moment.
2) Performance Lab SPORT Pre-Workout
Product website: www.performancelab.com
The Performance Lab SPORT Pre-Workout is the next product on our list of the best pre workouts for women.
Performance Lab is a new brand of products created by the UK-bases supplements company Opti-Nutra. Their range includes things such as multivitamins and protein powders.
The SPORT Pre-Workout has some unique benefits that sets it apart from a lot of the other pre workout supplements out there right now.
Firstly, it’s not delivered in a powder like most pre workout supplements. Instead, it comes in a capsule form. The benefit of this is that it doesn’t need to use any sweeteners at all.
It’s also totally Caffeine-free. This could be perfect for you if you’re sensitive to Caffeine or train regularly in the evening.
The SPORT Pre-Workout is also completely Vegan and Vegetarian friendly.
The Main Points
• Contains Iron – Iron contributes to the reduction of tiredness and fatigue.
• No Caffeine – Many pre workouts contain lots of Caffeine. SPORT Pre-Workout doesn’t use any at all, which may suit some people, especially if you regularly train at nighttime.
• No sweeteners – Because SPORT Pre-Workout is delivered in capsule form, there’s no need for any sweeteners of any type. This is basically never the case with powder-form pre workouts.
• Vegan friendly – It’s 100 per cent suitable for Vegans and Vegetarians, unlike many other pre workout supplements.
The Performance Lab SPORT Pre-Workout formula uses eight different ingredients to help boost your chances of reaching your goals and support you on your journey.
Here’s a summary of the main ingredients in the formula:
• Iron – Contributes to the reduction of tiredness and fatigue
• Creatine – Contains 1.25g per serving
• L-Citrulline and L-Glutathione – Blend containing 2200mg.
• Beta-Alanine – 800mg, often found in the top pre workouts.
• Maritime Pine Bark Extract – 100mg in each serving.
• Himalayan Pink Salt – 350mg per serving.
Here is the full ingredients label of SPORT Pre-Workout, as printed on the box and bottle.
How To Take It
Unlike most pre workouts, SPORT Pre-Workout is delivered in capsule form, which makes the directions pretty simple to follow.
They simply say that you should take four capsules with a glass of water, around 30 minutes before starting your workout.
Price And Where To Buy
The price for one bottle of SPORT Pre-Workout is around $45/ £35 / €40. You can save 10 per cent by buying more than one bottle from the official website.
The Performance Lab range is not for sale in the shops or on other websites such as Amazon. You can only buy it directly from the manufacturer on the official website at the moment.
The Performance Lab supplements are made in both the USA and UK in cGMP and FDA approved facilities. They also have fast worldwide shipping.
• Some people may not like having to swallow capsules instead of a powder mixed with water.
• Like some of the other products in this guide, you can only buy it directly from the manufacturer on the official Performance Lab website. You won’t find it in stores or on Amazon or eBay.
• It’s a premium-priced product, meaning that it’s more expensive than some of the other options on the market right now.
The Performance Lab SPORT Pre-Workout is a cleanly-formulated supplement that offers some unique benefits.
It is completely Caffeine-free and comes in capsule form, meaning that it doesn’t contain any sweeteners at all. It’s also Vegan and Vegetarian friendly.
The slight downsides are that it carries a premium price tag and can only be bought directly from the manufacturer.
3) 4 Gauge
Product website: www.4gauge.com
The next product on our list is 4 Gauge, which is made by a supplements company called Roar Ambition.
As you’d expect from the best pre workouts, 4 Gauge combines a range of popular ingredients to help support you on your fitness journey.
4 Gauge certainly stands out from the crowd with its shotgun shell shaped bottle, and the ingredients formula is one of the best we’ve come across.
4 Gauge contains a selection of many of the top rated pre workout ingredients.
Each two-scoop serving contains 150mg of Caffeine and one gram of Creatine Monohydrate.
4 Gauge also uses Citrulline Malate as one of its flagship ingredients. Each serving of 4 Gauge contains 6000mg of Citrulline Malate.
It also contains L-Theanine – an amino acid found in tea leaves and which is commonly paired with Caffeine in the same supplement, as well as Red Beet Extract.
4 Gauge also uses Potassium, which is a mineral that contributes to normal functioning of the nervous system and normal muscle function, amongst other things.
Here’s the ingredients list in full, along with the individual doses:
Price And Where To Buy
Each tub of 4 Gauge contains 20 two-scoop servings.
It’s currently available only in one flavor – Fruit Blast. It’s slightly sour but sweet at the same time. We did find that it does have a bit of a ‘synthetic’ aftertaste.
One tub of 4 Gauge costs around $45 / £25 / €35.
4 Gauge is manufactured in both the USA and the UK in FDA and cGMP certified facilities. You can expect to receive your order within 1-3 days if you live in those two countries, and they also have express shipping options for worldwide delivery.
You can only buy it on the official website right now, meaning that it’s not in stores or on other websites such as Amazon, GNC or eBay.
• You can only buy it on the official website right now.
• It’s a more premium priced product, meaning that it may not fit into everyone’s budget.
• Only available in one flavor at the moment – ‘Fruit Blast’. Some people may not like it.
4 Gauge is a leading pre workout supplement made by Roar Ambition.
It contains a blend of common ingredients and doesn’t use Sucralose as a sweetener – instead it makes uses of a blend of plant-based sweeteners.
The only slight drawbacks are the fact that you can only buy it on the official website right now and it’s a bit more expensive than some of the other products out there.
4) Stim Free Pre Workout
Product website: www.transparentlabs.com
The next product in our guide is the Stim Free Pre Workout, made by US-based company Transparent Labs.
Transparent Labs pride themselves on the fact that their supplements do not use proprietary blends. This means that you always know exactly what is in each serving, as the ingredients are clearly listed along with the doses of each one.
Let’s take a look at exactly what is in the Stim Free Pre Workout supplement now.
As the name suggests, the Stim Free Pre Workout doesn’t use any Caffeine in its ingredients formula.
Instead, it contains a range of other popular pre workout supplement ingredients, including four grams of Beta-Alanine and three grams of Creatine HCl.
It currently comes in five different flavors, including Blue Raspberry. It’s great that there is some choice here, as that’s not always the case.
Like Powher, it also uses a dose of Taurine, which is a common ingredient in commercially available energy drinks. It also includes a dose of Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs).
Here is the Stim Free Pre Workout ingredients list in full, as shown on the packet:
• Transparent Labs are a US-based company. Their products may not ship to all countries.
• It’s another product with a premium price tag.
The Stim Free Pre Workout from Transparent Labs contains some popular ingredients such as BCAAs, Taurine and Creatine.
Product website: www.bulkpowders.com
The final product on our best pre workout list is Elevate, which is made by the UK-based supplements company Bulk Powders.
Elevate is the premium pre workout offering from Bulk Powders, and as you’d expect, it combines a range of good ingredients in its formula.
Elevate contains some popular and common pre workout ingredients such as Citrulline Malate and Caffeine.
Elevate uses 200mg of Caffeine, which is more than any of the other pre workout supplements on this list. This may not be suitable for people who are sensitive to stimulants.
It also contains black pepper extract (Bioperine), which is commonly added to supplements.
A substance called Vitargo is its main flagship ingredient, and each serving of Elevate contains 10 grams of it.
It also uses Vitamin B6 as one of its main ingredients, which is good to see.
There were 73 reviews on the official Bulk Powders website at the time of writing. Of those, 69 were five stars and four were four stars.
• The 200mg dose of Caffeine per serving may be a bit too much for some people.
• Bulk Powders only ship to the UK / Europe at the moment.
Elevate is a high quality pre workout supplement that contains a good blend of popular ingredients.
Anything Else To Consider?
As we always like to remind our readers, supplements like the ones featured on this page are designed to be combined with a healthy diet and tailored exercise regimen.
None of the products in this category will work miracles on their own. You’ll still have to put in the hard work in the gym or while training to get the results you are after.
Food supplements are not intended to be a substitute for a healthy, varied and balanced diet.
As always, we strongly recommend that you speak to your doctor or a certified medical professional before thinking about taking any new supplement, or making any major changes to your diet and lifestyle.
It’s also important that you make sure that you carefully read the label of any supplement you purchase, including the directions and warnings.
Conclusion – Wrapping Things Up
The brings us to the end of our look at some of the best pre workouts for women on the market at the moment.
We’ve walked you through the key things you should consider when picking a supplement in this category, including some of the ingredients to look for.
We also looked at how a good pre workout supplement can help you to hit your goals when combined with the right healthy lifestyle choices.
We’ve also selected five of the best female-friendly pre workouts on the market right now. Powher and Performance Lab’s SPORT Pre-Workout are good options, as they contain a good blend of ingredients which can help to support your goals.
The main thing to decide is whether you would prefer a supplement that comes in a powder to be mixed with water, or capsule form that doesn’t use any sweeteners.
The information on this website is intended for entertainment purposes only and does not constitute professional, medical or healthcare advice or diagnosis, and may not be used as such.
MORE: The latest football news
MORE: The latest tennis news
BIOGRAPHY: Ryan Carter
BIOGRAPHY: Ethan Hazard