There has been an explosion in the number of hangover pill supplements on sale in recent years as more and more people look for natural ways to combat the negative effects of alcohol.
Thrive gained notoriety when it appeared on Shark Tank in the USA, and the supplement now sells on Amazon as a “vitamin” for alcohol.
In case you weren’t already aware, hangover supplements are products that contain a range of natural ingredients designed to help give your body the fuel it needs to recover from a night out.
Thrive is one of the best selling products in this category, so naturally we wanted to see where it stands in relation to the top hangover cure supplements on the market right now.
Our Thrive review is going to focus on all of the important things that you need to know about this supplement, including the customer reviews, the ingredients formula and the doses.
We’re going to take a detailed look at this supplement from all angles as we look to see whether it deserves a spot on our list of the best hangover supplements on the market right now.
So let’s get cracking and start off our Thrive Hangover Cure review.
As we’ve already deduced, Thrive is a supplement made by a company called Thrive+ and sold on Amazon.
It’s marketed as an “After-Alcohol Aid” that will help give your body the fuel it needs to recover properly after a night of drinking.
We all know about the perils of hangovers, and they seem to get worse as the years go by.
Of course, there are lots of factors at play when it comes to hangovers, such as the type of alcohol you’ve been drinking and how much water you’ve been drinking.
But a good hangover supplement can make a big difference to how you feel the next morning if it contains some proven ingredients which can help ease your pain.
Thrive claims to use a patented formula to deliver some of the ingredients your body needs to help recover from a drinking session.
The marketing material on the official Amazon listing also says that it will help you to enjoy alcohol in a “happier and healthier” way.
This all sounds pretty good to us, but we’ve really heard it all before when it comes to the marketing hype surrounding health and fitness supplements.
So we’re now going to take a close look at the Thrive ingredients formula to see where it stands in relation to the other top products on the market right now.
Let’s kick off this section by taking a close look at the ingredients formula of Thrive as per the bottle.
Firstly, we should point out that the manufacturer deserves credit for not using a proprietary blend with this formula.
That means that all of the ingredients on the label are clearly displayed along with the doses.
We always advise that you only go for a product that doesn’t use proprietary blends, as they are just a convenient excuse for a manufacturer not to be fully transparent with their customers about their formulas.
Let’s now focus on the main ingredients in Thrive.
• Vitamins C and E – These are two good inclusions for any hangover related supplement. Vitamin C is known for its benefits for the immune system, and it also has potent antioxidant properties. Vitamin E is another free radical scavenger that’s a good inclusion for any hangover supplement.
• B Vitamins – We always like to see B vitamins included in hangover supplements. Amongst other things, B Vitamins are essential in supporting the liver’s metabolic function. They are the foundation of the enzymes that allow the liver to perform its functions. They’re a great inclusion for hangover supplements because they can help the liver to deal with the extra workload after drinking alcohol.
• Sodium and Potassium – Two electrolytes which can play a role in rehydration. The problem here is that they are both rather under-dosed, so they’re not likely to be as effective as when they are delivered in a liquid form, for example.
• Dihydromyricetin – A good ingredient for any hangover supplement. It works by upregulating the activity of ALDH, which is the enzyme that breaks down acetaldehyde. A build-up of acetaldehyde is basically the cause of almost all hangover symptoms. We always like to see Dihydromyricetin used in hangover supplements, so it was good to find it in Thrive.
• N-Acetyl Cysteine – Another solid inclusion in the Thrive formula. It’s actually one of the things given to patients in hospitals after paracetamol overdoses because of its ability to boost the liver’s Glutathione levels.
• Milk Thistle Seed Extract – Another good ingredient in the formula. The active ingredient in Milk Thistle is Silymarin, which acts as an antioxidant by reducing free radical production and lipid peroxidation.
• Ginger – Another top inclusion and one of the main ingredients in our top-rated hangover supplement AfterDrink. Ginger is known for its anti-sickness properties, and it’s often given to pregnant women to treat morning sickness. It’s the perfect remedy for the nausea that drinking too much alcohol can cause the next day. The problem is that it’s under-dosed in this case at just 75mg per serving.
Although the Thrive formula is definitely one of the better ones out there, there are a couple of ingredients missing from this supplement in our opinion.
• Black Pepper Extract
• Vitamin B3
Black Pepper Extract is a key ingredient for making sure that the other ingredients in the supplement are properly absorbed to make for a more effective product overall.
At the time of writing, there were more than 500 Thrive reviews on Amazon. It had an average rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars, which is pretty good going.
One happy customer said that they had to give the product the credit it deserved as it helped them to feel much better after a night of heavy drinking.
Naturally, there were some negative reviews as well, with one person claiming that it simply did nothing for them at all.
The Thrive formula is a pretty safe one, so you shouldn’t have to worry too much about suffering from any unwanted side effects in this case.
That being said, we do always advise that you take a look through the ingredients formula yourself before taking any new supplement for the first time.
Thrive is certainly up there in terms of being one of the better hangover supplements on the market right now.
It uses some great ingredients and seems to be well received by customers.
You can check our our guide to the top hangover supplements by following the link below.
Just remember not to expect miracles from any supplement in this category.
The best thing to do is to moderate your alcohol intake and make sure that you drink plenty of water both during your night out and before going to bed.
That said, a quality hangover supplement can go a long way towards relieving some of those unwanted symptoms.
That brings us to the end of our Thrive review.
Overall, we think this is a pretty good hangover supplement and customers seem to think so too.
It’s just a shame that it doesn’t use any Black Pepper Extract to boost the absorption of the other ingredients, and it’s also missing Vitamin B3 as an ingredient.
• Updated on September 19, 2018
MORE: Sheer Test review
MORE: The latest football news
MORE: The latest tennis news
BIOGRAPHY: Daniel Sturridge
BIOGRAPHY: Kepa Arrizabalaga